SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I have a website, I started it as a fan-site, but it has grown and I was wondering with how many visitors I can start getting money for advertising on my site. I'm not really looking for a profit (but I'll take it if I find it), just something to pay for the costs of running the site. I don't really know anything about advertising, but I'd like ads based on impression instead of click-troughs.

Any help would be appreciated!
    -Nick

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are new, you can't make money by selling advertising. But you can join cj. They have many pay-per-click,pay per sale,pay per lead programs. You can make some money from them. At least, sufficient to cover your web hosting expense. Try it.
    Addto! e-commerce and Internet Marketing Directory
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.
    You can access various domain registration info. too

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I'd thought to ask others about advertising before I plunged in. Generally, you sell ads per thousand of impressions. You have to have a means to rotate banners, track impressions and click-thrus. I am not a real techie so I went another direction. My idea was to sell ads as the newspaper does by quoting current traffic (circulation) and selling space for a specific amount of time. It made sense to me.

This didn't work.

So I went with advertising.com which was a great program but I clearly didn't have enough traffic and they dropped me after 3 months. Their program was nice in that it rotated banners for you. Bad thing was they also put banners up which has little chance to be clicked. Who needs to buy a casket when they are at a football site? *grin*

So now, I am working with a couple of affiliate programs and websponsors.com so I can choose the programs I want to use.

Many articles here are wonderful in learning about web advertising. But the key remains to have enough traffic to begin with.

You might be wise to hold off, research the possibilities and get in a banner exchange program to help build your hits in the meantime. Linkexchange is just one of many that allows you show your banner on other's sites if you show some on yours. You can also find simular sites (as long as you don't have the same content) and exchange banners with them.

Then move onto an affiliate program then into your own ad sales.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Addto
    If you are new, you can't make money by selling advertising. But you can join [\url]'http://www.addto.com/track/cj']cj[/url]. They have many pay-per-click,pay per sale,pay per lead programs. You can make some money from them. At least, sufficient to cover your web hosting expense. Try it.
    Just a note: According to the community guidelines, you're not allowed to post affiliate link/redirect link.
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with much of what has already been said here, but since your questiong is specifically about advertising I'll keep my comments to that -

With anything over about 1000 newsletter subscribers and/or about 5k-10k hits a day you should be able to begin charging lower rates for your advertising. You CAN sell advertising on your emails,newsletter, or site at ANY traffic level, but until you get substantial numbers few people/businesses will be interested.

I say, don't let it discourage you. If ANYONE buy's advertising from you, no matter what your traffic level your ahead of the game. I do believe anyone can make profit from advertising - just monitor the amount of time it's taking you (time is money) and the cost of any programs (i.e. banner rotation program) that you buy. ANY money over cost/time is profit (and every little bit helps!)Low or No-cost alternatives are out there (search this sites forums for suggestions)

Live the Life of your dreams!
    http://exotichawaii.com