SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict Eternal Designs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamweaver MX code error

When I use Dreamweaver MX to insert images, links or attach css files, DMX inserts an extra / at the begining of the link.

Example instead of inserting the correct link from index.html to images/image.gif it instead links to /images/image.gif. It will display fine in DMX but when trying to preview it in the browser it will break the link. I have used Dreamweaver since v1 and don't remeber previous versions doing this. I use Dreamweaver becuse it saves me time, but I find because of this quirk that I now have to edit every image/link insert on every page, which in turn really wastes my time. I'm starting to use Homesite/Topstyle more now.

Has anyone run into this and/or have you found a fix?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't put the / on mine..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that means dreamweaver is using root-relative paths...

Funny thing: right now I am currently trying to figure out how to make dreamweaver do the exact same thing that yours is doing. wanna trade?

I think I just figured it out.

When you go to make a link...or insert a image...a dialog box comes up to choose which file to link to. At the very bottom you have a choice of root-relative or document relative.

You want "document". I think after you choose it once...it does it automatically from then on.

Btw...the other way you were doing it still works, just not in preview mode...but it shoould work once you upload it to your server.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni
    I think that means dreamweaver is using root-relative paths...

I think I just figured it out.

When you go to make a link...or insert a image...a dialog box comes up to choose which file to link to. At the very bottom you have a choice of root-relative or document relative.

You want "document". I think after you choose it once...it does it automatically from then on.

Btw...the other way you were doing it still works, just not in preview mode...but it shoould work once you upload it to your server.
    I was racking my brain trying to figure out why it was doing this. Thanks for the quick response. I'll try this and see if it works. Where do I change the root-relative or document-relative setting? Because I inserted all the non-image links via the property manager by using the click and drag thingee next to the link text box.

Now I don't know if this is related but it probably is. I recently (in the last week or so) installed a local copy of Apache/PHP/MySQL to test scripts locally. At the same time I also entered my local server under testing server in site properties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You change the root/doc relative setting by:
    hmmm... here's a screenshot its much easier than trying to type at 2am :

http://www.toniallen.com/d3.gif

There has to be a simpler way of doing it, so dreamweaver does the paths automatically, either root or document. (and Im pretty sure i remember figuring out this same problem a few years ago...ha.)

___
    Yup, the site properties is probally where it all started from. Do a search in the dreamweaver help files (they are within dreamweaver) for the term "Absolute Paths" or "root relative".

The documentation kinda jumps around a lot, but what I got out of it was; paths are set up when you do your site properties. (even though I can find out where in site properties )

Maybe someone will come and enlighten us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already knew how to set the document/root paths in the insert image and link pop-ups. I still haven't figured out how to do it when using the little circle drag to link thing next to the link text box in the property inspector. Nor have I found a setting for it in the site properties. I tried turning off testing server to see if that worked. No difference. Thanks for the help. Hopefully some else has run into this problem.

I also haven't been able to find where to this for css/js links.