SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, excuse me for using this forum as my soapbox today. Special apologies to those under 18 and non-U.S. citizens as this will be somewhat irrelevant to you.

Just wanted to say I hope you all plan to vote even if, no, especially if, you don't particularly like either of the main candidates. There are several "Third Party" candidates to choose from this year and you can find info on most of them and their parties on the Internet, so do a little research. It won't kill you. And you may find that one or two of them are addressing issues you think need more attention. And if you are voting for a third party, in some ways your single vote could have more of an effect than a single vote for one of the major candidates. True, we will almost certainly see either Bush or Gore in the White House next year, but the more votes a third party receives, the more seriously they and their issues are taken. Also, if they receive a certain percentage of the votes (5% I believe), they qualify for matching funds in the next election. So maybe we won't see a party other than the Republicans and Democrats rise to great heights of power this election, but I plan to be around for a while, and I am looking at the long-term.

Okay, I'm done ranting. I promise, no more soapbox speeches today.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont vote, you wont make a diffrence, dont worry
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vote Bush!
    Visit http://www.igsites.com for all your gaming needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, boy! This is going to be fun. Politics. Everybody be nice or I'll sick smasher on you. LOL!

I think your vote does matter. If you are leaning towards Gore, vote for Nader instead. It will help my boy W. get elected.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wont vote for Gore simply because he said he "spearheaded the effort to create the internet"

Its too much of a politician for me.

On the other hand I really dont like Bush's environmental record.

I wish Jesse Ventura would run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesse Ventura as our president? I'm packing my bags already...

Seriously, neither candidate is the clear-cut winner, both have their faults and strengths, but I would vote 'Dubya.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah!! A like-minded voter... Jesse Ventura for PREZ!

I probably won't know until election day who I'll end up voting for.. I'm a democrat, so technically I should be voting for Gore, but I don't want our handguns taken away, so I should be voting for Bush ?! I've been doing lots of research and both of the candidates have issues I agree and disagree with..and they're all important. I suppose this will be quite a pivotal election..Who knows what will happen, they're so close!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because Jesse Ventura was a professional wrestler doesn't mean he's a bad politician.

He started out as a town mayor and did alot of good things for that town. Then he became governor and he does alot of good things for minnesota too.

If you've ever seen or read an interview with him its hard to not like his views and policies. He isn't afraid to stand up against the norm and say this is how it should be done.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres my low down on the canidates.

Bush.

Like his idea's on crime, gun control, budget, social security, taxes. Do not like his school voucher program, his history with the environment, or his pro-life ideals.

Gore.

Don't like his personality, he seems to be a say-anything-to-be-elected kinda guy. But he is better on the environment and is pro choice.

So, I'm voting for Bush. With the hopes that congress will prevent him from facilitating any changes with abortion policy, and either congress or the supreme court will stop any school voucher program (giving public funds to religious private schools is unconsitutional IMO)

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congresss is mostly republican, so they will definetly mess with abortions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by igsites
    Vote Bush!
    Vote Gore!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by necrominator
    dont vote, you wont make a diffrence, dont worry
    I can NOT belive you said that.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As most of my fellow frenchies (59% of them), i would say "vote Gore !".
    But in europe we only hear about the two main parties... (i like that word "party", sounds like they are having lot of fun being political figures )

I'd say Bush invited a Latino and a Black at his show just to make sure he doesn't seem too racist to these minorities. Just like the french racist-party leader has some black and arabic lieutenants.
    Have you looked at the death-penalties rates in Texas ? Most condemned black prisoners are executed, while most whiteys are just condemned to perpetuity. I wonder if i should call this basical anachronical racism.

Also, i'm definitely against death penalty and anti-abortion. I'd take Bush's daughter and inseminate her, let's see if Bush is still anti-abortion... (ok, you can forget that sentence, i don't want to start a debate on abortion)

Vote for ME ! And if you can't, well, vote for Gore. Or for a third-party representant.
    (i was surprised to hear there actually is a communist party, i thought america's constitution was changed during McCarthy to prevent ommunism, but luckily it wasn't, and all parties are allowed)
    But don't forget to vote. It IS important.
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aaargh! please vote! (I'm not even american!) Not voting certainly won't change anything, whereas voting may do a little bit so you might as well. I got such a ********** off my grandmother when I didn't vote in the last British local election - "women died so you could have a say in who runs your country!"

If I was american, I would be so pissed off that Bradley didn't get selected but I suppose Dubya was always going to get it with his family connections and all. I think he's halfwit same as Gore

[Edited by jamesglewisf on 11-02-2000 at 09:26 AM]

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    voting wont change anything, there is no real diffrence between bush and gore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    erm, from what I hear, one wants to ban abortions, the other wants to ban guns. For the sake of my american friends I hope neither succeed

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by superbird

If I was american, I would be so pissed off that Bradley didn't get selected but I suppose Dubya was always going to get it with his family connections and all.

[Edited by jamesglewisf on 11-02-2000 at 09:26 AM]
    Bradley lost the Democratic primary to Gore. But I AM pretty disappointed that McCain (who lost the Republican primary to Bush, a.k.a. Dubya) isn't still in the race.

As to Necrominator's last post, so you don't think there is a real difference between Bush and Gore. These aren't your only choices. I won't repeat what I posted earlier, but if you want someone more in line with your views with a real chance at the presidency in the future, don't sit on your butt. Make it happen.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by necrominator
    voting wont change anything, there is no real diffrence between bush and gore.
    There are some MAJOR philosophical differences between the two. Abortion, Gun Control, Environment, National Defense, Foreign Affairs, Medicare, Social Security (do I need to go on??)

And if every person in the US which decided they weren't voting because "their vote won't make a difference" actually voted, election results could be greatly affected. Think about Ross Perot. He single handedly caused George Bush to lose that election because he mobilized the people to vote and cost him enough of the conservative vote to lose the election to Clinton.

There have been people in local elections who have won/lost elections by SINGLE DIGIT MARGINS. Think a vote or two one way or the other wouldn't make a difference.

The national voting average is under 50%. For people in my age bracket (18-35), the number is closer to 25%. Now think of the impact if all of those people actually came out and voted. Most of those people don't think their vote matters. A couple MILLION votes don't matter???

PLEASE get out and vote. This is one of the true freedoms in this country. Many countries in the world would be thrilled to have the opportunity we take for granted. If every eligible person voted, this country could truly return to being "for the people, and by the people"

<<Gets off the soapbox now. Sorry>>
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

Cat Herder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agre with Dave: voting does make a difference, and it's a great deterrent to the indifference that seems to grip people about issues. Remember, wherever you are, there's more than just the Presidential race to decide. Here in my district, we have a couple of ordinances, a US Senator seat, a House seat, a state Senate seat, a state Rep seat, Clerk of Courts, etc.

That said, though - I cannot, in good conscience, vote for Bush. He is not intelligent enough, not caring enough, not concerned enough, and not experienced enough to make me cast a vote to place the fate and welfare of this nation in his hands. Neither does he inspire the sort of excellence that will help propel us into the new millennium, having not excelled at too much except his own, self-serving interests (like skipping out on the Guard, or taking credit for a hate-crimes bill he tried to kill, etc.). I also find it rather ironic that education is one of he primary planks of his campaign, and his education record in Texas is pretty bleak (not to mention the fact that he seems in dire need of some educational assistance himself).

The thought had crossed my mind that voting Nader might be an answer; however, he has shown himself to be of the same substance against which he has railed for so many years. That he does not see that he is eroding support for Gore, and will probably succeed in helping elect someone diametrically opposed to the things he holds dear speaks volumes to me. He also doesn't have the experience it takes to run this country or represent this country's interests to foreign heads of state. Browne falls into that latter category as well, and Buchanan is truly turning into the neo-Nazi candidate to end all candidates.

To the person who said they couldn't vote for Gore because of the whole internet business: Gore did indeed take the initiative in turning the internet into what it is today - he was one of the few who saw the potential, and that caused even the great Vint Cerf to back him up on that. Gore has other problems, to be sure, but out of all the available candidates, he is certainly the most qualified - and thus, he will get my vote on Tuesday. The new tree ordinance here, however, will not.
    Annette
    Hosting Matters, Inc.
    Superior service. Sensible price.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard a radio commentator say that "experts" had rated both "Dubya" and Gore's speech patterns, vocabulary and intonation and found that Dubya spoke at a 6th grade level, where as the Inventor of the Internet was speaking proficiently at the 8th grade level. Ah, the leaders of the 21st century. Doesn't it make you proud? *shudder*

Cat Herder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sparkie, I remember reading that. They had also, if I recall, metered the vocabulary and speech patterns of the Nixon/Kennedy debate and found that they topped out at around the 10th-12th grade levels. It's a pretty interesting commentary on American culture. In this day and age of voyeuristic entertainment (WWF, Big Brother, Survivor), somehow it doesn't surprise me very much that language usage would degrade to that level.
    Annette
    Hosting Matters, Inc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, it shows how alike they all are with me getting mixed up It was definitely Bradley I liked, I assumed he was conservative b/c that's who I normally support here in the UK.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you don't vote for President, vote for all the local events. In my area, they are voting on whether to build a much needed shopping mall, school vouchers, whether to double the size of county government, taxes, bonds and a lot of other issues that will cost Southern Californians billions of dollars. These smaller local elections are often one or lost by as few as a hundred votes. Everyone's vote counts.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sparkie
    I heard a radio commentator say that "experts" had rated both "Dubya" and Gore's speech patterns, vocabulary and intonation and found that Dubya spoke at a 6th grade level, where as the Inventor of the Internet was speaking proficiently at the 8th grade level. Ah, the leaders of the 21st century. Doesn't it make you proud? *shudder*
    I think this can be attirbuted more to their audience than to what they are truly capable of. You can't get up there and throw around the big words that got you points on your SAT. Where I teach, the average parent has a 3rd grade education. You have to 'dumb it down' sadly.

As for school vouchers Wayne, vote no please. It is such a bad idea that I can't even begin to discuss it. The problems with education are with the district level administration and the parents complete lack of participation and education themselves.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.
    Chicken

Cat Herder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Chicken

As for school vouchers Wayne, vote no please. It is such a bad idea that I can't even begin to discuss it. The problems with education are with the district level administration and the parents complete lack of participation and education themselves.
    Although we do not have a referendum on the ballot here (yet - it's coming, at some point down the road), I wholeheartedly agree with you, Chicken, and not just for that reason.
    Annette
    Hosting Matters, Inc.