Have installed mySQL onto an imac running OSX 10.2.6. I have a copy of Kevin Yank's book and for some reason, my computer doesn't want to follow his instrutions!

MySQL is installed in my /usr/local/ file which reads:

mysql
mysql-standard-4.0.13-apple-darwin6.4-powerpc
sbin
vscax

when I try to start mysql from /usr/local/mysql using ./bin/mysqld_safe, i get the following:

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
030524 13:22:54 mysqld ended

From reading and reading and reading (and confusing myself no end) I have checked that I have only one version of mysql installed. No other mysql database is runnning (only because I've done 3 or 4 uninstall/reinstalls) and there is no previous version of mysql sitting in the /library/receipts path.

In reading the install instructions posted on the mysql.com site, I learn that the version of mysql should install the database automatically as part of it's package install activities. So my first question is how do I check to be sure that the database is installed? And having found that out, what do I do next?

If someone can walk me through the rest of this, I'd be very grateful. As I mentioned, I have Kevin Yank's excellentl book (version 2 which includes OSX install instructions), but I'm obviously missing something 'cause I can't get it to work.

TIA