SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question new OSX mysql install - won't start

Have installed mySQL onto an imac running OSX 10.2.6. I have a copy of Kevin Yank's book and for some reason, my computer doesn't want to follow his instrutions!

MySQL is installed in my /usr/local/ file which reads:

mysql
    mysql-standard-4.0.13-apple-darwin6.4-powerpc
    sbin
    vscax

when I try to start mysql from /usr/local/mysql using ./bin/mysqld_safe, i get the following:

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
    030524 13:22:54 mysqld ended

From reading and reading and reading (and confusing myself no end) I have checked that I have only one version of mysql installed. No other mysql database is runnning (only because I've done 3 or 4 uninstall/reinstalls) and there is no previous version of mysql sitting in the /library/receipts path.

In reading the install instructions posted on the mysql.com site, I learn that the version of mysql should install the database automatically as part of it's package install activities. So my first question is how do I check to be sure that the database is installed? And having found that out, what do I do next?

If someone can walk me through the rest of this, I'd be very grateful. As I mentioned, I have Kevin Yank's excellentl book (version 2 which includes OSX install instructions), but I'm obviously missing something 'cause I can't get it to work.

TIA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I'm not really sure what's up, but I'll throw out a few suggestions.

If you are truly at the end of your rope and just want to get started, try:
    http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/

Are you running mysqld_safe as superuser?

Try running this on the terminal:
    ps -aux | grep "[m]ysqld"
    ... to see if you have a copy running or not.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm
    Hmm, I'm not really sure what's up, but I'll throw out a few suggestions.

If you are truly at the end of your rope and just want to get started, try:
    http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/
    This was one of my many points of reference... and part of the confusion of reading. some of the information here is contradicted elsewhere, so I'm no longer able to evaluate the information I am getting. Most of this is out of my frames of reference as a newbie.

Are you running mysqld_safe as superuser?
    My system has only one user - with admin privileges - and so I've been running my commands using 'sudo'

Try running this on the terminal:
    ... to see if you have a copy running or not.
    All I got doing the above command was my shell command back, with no comments attached. And, on top of that, I am not familiar enough with Unix and the Terminal to be sure that I am not doing any damage.

Oh well, I'll keep reading.

Thanks for the try though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sudo is the same as superuser... sort of a temporary superuser.

Tthe ps command would have displayed a couple lines if you had mysql running. It is completely non-invasive. :-)

I am not familiar with the instructions in Kevin Yank's new book. I installed mysql on my mac using purely the entropy binary and entropy instructions and I've installed mysql on BSD (not OSX) using MySQL instructions.

I'll continue to think about the problem, and perhaps someone with a better diagnostic checklist will jump in on this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it's the version that I have running? I show as having installed 4.0.13? I've noticed that the instructions for installing seem to change slightly with each new update, so I'm wondering if I am even using the right sequence?

For example, the startup command that I am using is
    shell% sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &

when I run this, I get an error message telling me to go to the directory where mysql is installed and run ./bin/safe_mysqld

If I do that, then I get the startup information, but it just suddenly stops, and hangs, and hangs, until I stop the process or exit the terminal.

I'm sure one day it will be as obvious as anything as to what is not working, but right now it sure is exercising my brain!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It kind of sounds like the second command you are attempting is working! mysqld is actually supposed to run endlessly.

The & at the end of the first command you tried basically tells the system: "Run this in the background" which is what you want from an application that runs endlessly.

Try:
    ./bin/safe_mysqld &

Then try:
    One or two lines returned means success (probably)!

Then try logging in with ./bin/mysql

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It kind of sounds like the second command you are attempting is working! mysqld is actually supposed to run endlessly.
    - Does that mean that once it is running I can just close the terminal window without exiting or anything?

The & at the end of the first command you tried basically tells the system: "Run this in the background" which is what you want from an application that runs endlessly.
    Thank you - I did wonder why the & was included!

Try:
    ./bin/safe_mysqld &
    - This is where things go wrong. If I use the above command, I get the following .....

mac2:/usr/local/mysql] shell% ./bin/safe_mysqld &
    [1] 1156
    [mac2:/usr/local/mysql] shell% The file /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld doesn't exist or is not executable
    Please do a cd to the mysql installation directory and restart
    this script from there as follows:
    ./bin/mysqld_safe.

- So, I decided to have a look at the directory contents ....

[mac2:/usr/local/mysql] shell% ls
    COPYING README include manual.txt share
    COPYING.LIB bin lib manual_toc.html sql-bench
    ChangeLog configure man mysql-test support-files
    INSTALL-BINARY data manual.html scripts tests

- No reference to libexec that I can see.....

- If I check the contents of the directory one level up .....

[mac2:/usr/local] shell% ls
    mysql
    mysql-standard-4.0.13-apple-darwin6.4-powerpc
    sbin
    vscanx

- which looks OK, but is not the same as on my other mac, also running 10.2.6 and with the original version of mysql installed (but not active). It looks like this:

[mac1:/usr/local] shell% ls
    bin include lib share vscanx
    [mac1:/usr/local] shell%

Somewhere, I have missed something during the install process. Maybe I should go back, uninstall eek and re-insall using a binary file, and not the pkg file.

You have no idea, Sam, how grateful I am to you for your help!

Joss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I was more help! If I had installed MySQL on my Mac more recently or if I had ever read Kevin Yank's new instructions, I might be able to help more. For that matter, if my UNIX trouble shooting was a little better...

Anyway, I suggest that before you give up and reinstall, try the launching MySQL with sudo. It's possible the files that are "missing" are just not visable to your user.

Have you restarted since you installed MySQL? That might be helpful, for one reason or another.

The Mac that has MySQL installed but not active looks like it chose a different directory layout for installation than your other machine, or it is actually not installed.

(p.s. I'm away from home until Wednesday, so I may not respond quickly)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert but from what I've read/heard incomplete uninstalls can be a cause for much headache

How have you been uninstalling for your multi-re-tries ???

try:: http://www.entropy.ch/software/macos...old-mysql.html for a utility script run in terminal

then follow the *first-time installation instructions* Link on that page, (these are slightly different sequences than in the book)

also - Any install on OSX usually works better after a re-boot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! It worked! I even had the mysql test work. So now I'm ready to tackle the next steps in the book, so I'll likely be back with more questions!

Cheers