SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This seems so much simpler than a lot of scripts out there, but I can't find one anywhere. I would just like to have an image fly in fast from the left to center of the page, and I'd like it to work in NN and IE 4 and up if possible. Anyone know if this is available?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi psalzer,

There are a number of scripts that do what you ask. If you are looking for a cut&paste one, see http://www.dynamicdrive.com http://www.brainjar.com etc. If you would like to learn how to make your own, you might check out the "Moving Layers" script/tutorial at my site. It doesn't 'fly' out and its movement is controlled by buttons, but you should be able to modify it for your purposes by changing the movement to a setTimeout() method and setting up some conditionals so that the image stops in the middle of the page (screen.width/2)

Vinny
    Where the World Once Stood
    the blades of grass
    cut me still

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks..I had looked in those places and looked again, but the ones that seem to create the exact effect I'm looking for only work in IE. I'm taking a wild guess that if people who really understand javascript and DHTML can't make that happen in NN, there's not going to be anything I can do to make it work. I guess I'll have to figure another way to get the feel I'm looking for, but thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi PSalzer,

If all you want is to have an image move from someplace on the left of the screen to the center, it can be done in NN as well as IE. Did you glance at the script at my site?
    (I know that it works in both browsers and can be modified for coming into the page from offscreen because I wrote a script that did just that.)

If you try modifying it and ask a specific question, I'll be more than glad to help.

Vinny

the blades of grass
    cut me still

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very kind of you. I'll give it a try. I'm just now trying to learn a little javascript. I mean..I'm working on understanding how to do "Hello world" in it..to give you an idea of where I'm at, so I haven't tried modifying the functions of any scripts at all. But, might as well start now. I'll try over the weekend and thank you again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi psalzer,

You're welcome

Since you're a newbie, my normal recs:

Book: SAM's Javascript in 24 hours
    Site: the javascript primer at http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com

Vinny
    the blades of grass