SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with loadMovie behavior and buttons

I'm relatively new to flash but I can't seem to figure this problem out - I'm following the directions exactly from all the different tutorials I've read.

I'm trying to use flash MX to create a tabbed navigation menu that has mouse rollOver animations for each tab. To do this, I made the tab image in the movie and defined it as a symbol (movie clip). I then placed the text on top of that image in a new layer, defined the text as a symbol (button) and then gave the button some actions. In the button's actions, I scripted it to loadMovie("activeTabAnimation.swf", nameOfExistingTabMovieClip);. The effect I'm looking for is to load the animated tab movie clip in place of the existing (inactive) tab clip.

Now, when I test the movie and roll over the button with my mouse, instead of loading the external movie clip in place of the target (nameOfExistingTabMovieClip), it clears the whole stage and loads the external movie clip in the center of the stage.

I tried changing it to _root.nameOfExistingTabMovieClip, tried putting quotes around the target, etc... and they all give the same behavior. Is there something I'm leaving out?
    So I says to him, I says, Hey! Llama! How about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The action on the button is going to load into the level in which it lives (_root) which replaces what was there b4... completely... hence clearing the stage and playing what it was told to

why don't you zip and attatch the .fla here for a look ?

There is a lot to unravel I fear...

For one:: Your tabClips could each have onRollover actions and the entire change/animation(s) could reside within them ... no need to load ext. swf's for that

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it loads in place of the target, but I thought that when you use a target in loadMovie instead of a level, the new movie clip is supposed to assume the position and dimensions of the target movie clip? My new movie clip is just loading in the center of the stage.
    So I says to him, I says, Hey! Llama! How about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?