SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Interpreting color tags

I want to be able to freely change the background color of a page and have PHP set the font color so that it is readable.

The way I think this would work would be to read the color tag (e.g., #FFCC00), parse it (e.g., FF, CC and 00) and convert it to decimal numbers (e.g., 255, 204, 0). I could then average the numbers, and if greater than 128, insert a dark font, or if less than 128, insert a light font. Does that make sense? If I want to get tricky, I could set up an algorithm to choose a complimentary color, but I doubt that would be worthwhile.

Can anyone help me with the two basic problems: Parse the text string into hexadecimal segments, and turn those segments into decimal numbers I can fiddle with. The rest I think I can handle. (Or if you can come up with a better plan altogether, that would be fine. )

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP Code:
    $str '#FAFEBF';

$str str_replace('#'''$str);
    for (
    $i 0$i 3$i++) {

$color[$i] = hexdec(substr($str02));

$str substr_replace($str''02);
    }

list(
    $red$green$blue) = $color;
    print(
    $red);
    print(
    $green);
    print(
    $blue); 
    Hope that helps!
    - website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myNameIsDoug
    I want to be able to freely change the background color of a page and have PHP set the font color so that it is readable.

The way I think this would work would be to read the color tag (e.g., #FFCC00), parse it (e.g., FF, CC and 00) and convert it to decimal numbers (e.g., 255, 204, 0). I could then average the numbers, and if greater than 128, insert a dark font, or if less than 128, insert a light font. Does that make sense? If I want to get tricky, I could set up an algorithm to choose a complimentary color, but I doubt that would be worthwhile.

Can anyone help me with the two basic problems: Parse the text string into hexadecimal segments, and turn those segments into decimal numbers I can fiddle with. The rest I think I can handle. (Or if you can come up with a better plan altogether, that would be fine. )

Thanks in advance!
    Are you changing the color on an external page, or one under your own control? I ask because CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) supports using decimal numbers to set colors using rgb(254, 204, 0) syntax. If these pages are under your control, you might be able to use this as a solution.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Powerlord: That's a good idea, but I already have my colors set up with traditional tags.

My thanks to you both.