User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chilisoft ASP versus PHP

A client's site was originally written for ASP and Access. I have converted the Access database to mySQL (mySQL Front is a great GUI) .

The new hosting company uses ChiliSoft ASP and so far I have only had to make a few minor changes (mostly the sql queries) in the existing pages.

Since the pages are still working, I am debating whether to recode all of them for PHP.

Is there a performance difference or other considerations between them?

Thanks,

James
    Everything is going as planned...now where is that ball of twine.

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably. See http://www.devshed.com/Talk/BrainDum...8154/974173839

However, as much of a performance difference as there may be between PHP and ASP, I doubt it really matters in the grand scheme of things for most websites. They simply don't have enough traffic to benefit. I woudn't bother if I were you (but then, I'd have to learn PHP to do it being an ASPer! )

That, and if you really know what you're doing (and I don't to be completely honest) you can make ASP go like greased lightning. I know a former MS chap who's a VERY good coder, and his latest CMS called Publish 2 is churning out pages only marginally slower (and I mean 100ths of a second) than a normal HTTP request. Watch this space. He hasn't gone commercial with it yet.... it's being used by a number of international charities for free, but when he does it will be cropping up. Anyway, the point of me saying all that is that ASP is every bit as fast as PHP in the right hands. It's just that PHP is quicker at the basics.

G

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I'd do the switch. We never know when the next version of IIS won't support ASP anymore at all (likely the next one), so I'd get away from the antiquated software

J
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy W.
    Personally I'd do the switch. We never know when the next version of IIS won't support ASP anymore at all (likely the next one), so I'd get away from the antiquated software

J
    Can understand that.

I should have added that the new host is running Linux and Apache.

James
    Everything is going as planned...now where is that ball of twine.

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This discussion is about CASP though, not MS ASP. Like devtech says, this is a Linux box.

You never know. Maybe the best thing that could happen to ASP if MS abandoning it and leaving it to the open source guys!