Thread: new change

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy W.
    I've got time to stand corrected... :waits around:
    Well, SitePoint isn't officially in the Beta test. Before I left, I kind of got them slipped in. However the recent articles listing shouldn't have anything to do with a hack. That can all be done with template edits.

Of course if they change the code and there are problems, it won't be looked at by the development team.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on this post

Quote Originally Posted by earther
    I almost started a new thread for this as it is really important. As I continued catching up at SP this morning, I noticed that the article list has also appeared on some of the individual forum pages. Problem is that it is preventing some of those pages from loading AT ALL!! The article list is there but the forum area is BLANK! A refresh SOMETIMES brings up the main content but not always. I don't have the time or energy to sit here and refresh and refresh in hopes that the content will appear. Back to the drawing board fellas.

*edit* Thought I'd attach a screen shot so you can see exactly what I'm dealing with. Sometimes even the main forum list is blank too.
    In all the times I have visited the Website Design forum today the top box has not loaded once (see previous attachment). I haven't been able to get it to load even with a refresh. The bottom box sometimes comes up blank but appears after a refresh. This makes it very awkward because I have to go back to the main foum page and click on the subcategory links from there (to get to CSS ot HTML or Browser Issues etc.). Then it usually takes one or two refreshs to get those pages to load. Hope you can fix this soon. This is a real drag.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a workaround you can do this:
    Hit the "End" key on your keyboard and it will take you to the bottom of the page. From there you can use the forum jump dropdown to go directly to the other forums without going back to the main page.

Not sure why you don't see the subforums. They appear fine in Mozilla. I am sure eventually, they will get it fixed though.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep getting style sheet errors; sometimes when I click on forums or threads I get a page with no style at all, and sometimes I just get a blank page with a couple of lines of CSS. I'll paste it in here next time I see it. Refreshing usually does the job though.

And also, the new posts icons in the topic lists don't seem to work.

-Sam
    Sam Hastings

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here it is:

nfotext { margin: 4px; } .form { margin: 0; padding: 0; }
    -Sam
    Sam Hastings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word - annoying

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, these don't even show up in my browser (Netcaptor - an IE wrapper).
    Chrispian H. Burks
    Nothing To Say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Luke
    As a workaround you can do this:
    Hit the "End" key on your keyboard and it will take you to the bottom of the page. From there you can use the forum jump dropdown to go directly to the other forums without going back to the main page.

Not sure why you don't see the subforums. They appear fine in Mozilla. I am sure eventually, they will get it fixed though.
    Even when I use the Forum Jump to go to a subforum in Web Page Design, the thread list box ALWAYS comes up BLANK and only loads with a refresh. I also have no way of knowing beforehand if there are any new posts so sometimes going there is a complete waste of time. Have mercy, I'm already on dial-up and this is really trying my patience!!
    Last edited by earther; May 24, 2003 at 14:50.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some bugs in Internet Explorer 5 which messed up the forums - I have now created workarounds for most of these. Let me know if you still have any problems with IE5.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earther, I haven't been able to reproduce the problem you posted. Which URL were you viewing?
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Thomas - whatever you did, it got rid of the slight horizontal scrollbar in mmy IE5.5 [img]images/smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    ---------
    and I think the text size setup has been adjusted - I used to change to "small" at SP - now it looks good in "medium"
    ---------
    still large on the Tips page
    Last edited by mmi; May 24, 2003 at 00:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmj
    Earther, I haven't been able to reproduce the problem you posted. Which URL were you viewing?
    This problem is only happening in the *edit* Web Page Design*/edit * forums (but I only regularly visit about a dozen forums at SP so could be happening elsewhere).

When I go to the main WPD forum page http://www.sitepointforums.com/forum....php?forumid=1 , the sub-forums box is ALWAYS blank. I can't get it to read even with a refresh. Sometimes the thread display box is also blank but will appear with a refresh

Whether I use the forum jump or navigate from the forum index to any of the WPD sub-forum pages like http://www.sitepointforums.com/forum...000&forumid=53 , the thread display box ALWAYS comes up blank but appears with a refresh.

This is really slowing me down. It's bad enough being on 28.8 dialup most of the time without having to go thorough all these hoops. Hope you can fix it soon. BTW, using IE 6/Win ME.

I also vote for a way to minimize (or turn off) the new sidebar. Everything was fine until this appeared.
    Last edited by earther; May 24, 2003 at 14:49.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tom - looks much nicer on IE5.5 now

I could even get to like the new bar on the right hand side at this rate
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum
    I'm actually not sure they are since it's in Beta... I think I can remember Wayne mentioning that a while back*. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

*Could be utterly wrong however [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    Actually I do believe you are wrong. It is true that private beta testers of vb3 were required to agree to a "no-hacking" policy. However, SitePoint isn't using vb3 as a private beta tester, but rather as a forum of a VB Team Member (Wayne) - which results in completely different rules per se. This installtion of vb3 is already using "hacked" code if you didn't notice - just look at how many different types of "stickies" there are for example.

The short answer is yes... Herbster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! Much, much better. The white space has been reduced to what I imagine was intended and the pesky horizontal scroll is gone. Thanks!

You can leave the sidebar as is as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't crowd the forum listings at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbster
    Whucha gonna do wit all dat white space?
    OMG, I got a banner to my website that would fit perfectly there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmj
    There are some bugs in Internet Explorer 5 which messed up the forums - I have now created workarounds for most of these. Let me know if you still have any problems with IE5.
    Thanks a lot Thomas! Looks much better now! And I like the articles sidebar. Very good idea!

Just one more bug using IE5.5. Anything within [code] tags is shown on one contineous line... kinda hard to read, putting it mildly. I think it has to do with the use of 'whitespace: pre' in the stylesheet, IE5.X doesn't seem to understand that .

Why not use <pre> tags instead?

Rik
    English tea - Italian coffee - Maltese wine - Belgian beer - French Cognac

"Of" != "Have" bronze trophy Jeff Lange's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you're right IE5 doesn't handle white-spacere right... might want to look into <pre> tags just Zeof suggested.
    Who walks the stairs without a care
    It shoots so high in the sky.
    Bounce up and down just like a clown.
    Everyone knows its Slinky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post coder's block

Quote Originally Posted by Zoef
    Just one more bug using IE5.5. Anything within [code] tags is shown on one continuous line
    thanks for mentioning that, Rik - I always surf SP in 5.5 and didn't realize the problem was only with that browser - I assumed there was some reason the code was being displayed like that - see what happens when I give you guys credit for knowing what you're doing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmi
    I assumed there was some reason the code was being displayed like that
    I assumed the problem was server side untill it was pointed out to me in this thread that others were not having this problem.

Then I dug somewhat in the CSS and found the bugger .

Rik
    English tea - Italian coffee - Maltese wine - Belgian beer - French Cognac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would have noticed this sooner if the ad wasn't taking up most of the screen . . . When going to the Web Page Design forum the sub-forums appear for a second and then disappear - they just wink in and out. Hope you can fix this soon.

*edit* If I go to a thread from say http://www.sitepointforums.com/forum...php?forumid=53 and then use the back button the same thing happens to the main thread display as happens to the sub-forums display on the main page. It appears for a second then winks out and only appears with a refresh. Everything else is there on the page including the new article bar and ad. PLEASE fix this . . . it is keeping me away from hanging out in the Web Page Design forums as much as I'd like.
    Last edited by earther; May 28, 2003 at 08:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, any progress on this glitch?? It's been nearly a week.