SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How a blind person will "see" your Web page

This is an interesting audio comparison of inaccessible and accessible Web pages.

http://www.humanfactors.com/download...olateaudio.asp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting

Just wondering, which one is the best "non visual" browser?
    pwWebSpeak ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an extension of Jofa's question, I'd be interested to find out the features of various non-visual browsers.

Certainly, a good feature would be to allow the person browsing to skip over <table> tags as well as other related tags that serve little purpose for someone who is blind. That might change the audio accessibility differences between the page considerable.

I still think that there are a mountain of reasons to use CSS instead of a table formatting, but I'm not sure that test was entirely fair. Or maybe it was! I don't know much about non-visual browsers.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm
    <table> tags as well as other related tags that serve little purpose for someone who is blind
    aeh...excuse me ? why would a table be of little purpouse to a blind user ? screenreaders such as JAWS have a very capable way of handling tables and allowing users to move around the cells/rows/columns with ease. if the table is marked up in an accessible way, and linearises well, all the information makes perfect sense to a blind user...
    redux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redux
    aeh...excuse me ? why would a table be of little purpouse to a blind user ? screenreaders such as JAWS have a very capable way of handling tables and allowing users to move around the cells/rows/columns with ease. if the table is marked up in an accessible way, and linearises well, all the information makes perfect sense to a blind user...
    I admit I was not aware of that, like I said, I don't know much about non-visual browsers. Good to know! :-)

I also should have been more specific. In the example in the link, the table references were by and large useless and I think could have been interpretted better by a browser.

For example, the browser could offer the option to skip to the first or next cell that contained text, how hard would that be? Just like that, incompatibility greatly diminished.

Redux, a bit of your terminology interests me: "screenreader"
    Is that a misnomer of sorts, or are there actually screenreaders that vision-impaired people use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, screenreaders are one of the categories of assistive technology that visually impaired people use...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redux
    yes, screenreaders are one of the categories of assistive technology that visually impaired people use...
    But do they actually read a screen or is that a misnomer? Point is, if a screen-reader is reading a visual representation of a screenshot, then the coding that generates that display is not pertinent.

I'm reading over the JAWS product description and it sounds like it actually reads video output via what they call "DCM Technology". This, in my mind qualifies as "screen-reading".

This seems kind of convoluted to me when it comes to interpreting a web page for someone who has difficulty seeing. Why channel information through Internet Explorer (JAWS says that it does this) when the HTML source is available to be interpreted directly? However, I see some possible benefits of being able to access non-standard features such as active-x as well as bypassing dirty markup based upon what is actually being displayed on the screen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, it does not read video output...and in the case of IE, it does refer to the source code...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure? Perhaps what I read was a very recent development, or perhaps I am reading it incorrectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_downloads/DL_JAWS451.asp]What's New in JAWS[/url]
    JAWS 4.51 is the first release of JAWS to incorporate the new video chaining element called DCM technology. DCM is a new method of interfacing with computer video information, which is how many screen readers and magnification programs gather information.