SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right Click Disabled

I just visited a website that had disabled right clicking and it really made me blow my top. I have had ENOUGH of developers disabling the right click mouse button.

LISTEN UP, if I really wanted to steal your badly written and antiquated HTML then I can easily do that without right clicking with my mouse button.

I am a web user that tends to browse with as many windows open as my computer can handle, and sometimes even more. I often see more than one link on a particular page that interests me and that is when I choose to righ click so that I can open all these links in new windows.

By disabling the right mouse button, developers are not only hankering me in my web browsing experience, but they are making their website inaccessible to many people. They are certainly making it inaccessible to me as right clicking happens more often than right clicking when I am browsing the web.
    Last edited by Nicky; May 21, 2003 at 17:52.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and i get annoyed because i use mouse gestures, which require the right mouse button...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you that don't know what Redux is talking about here is an extract from: http://optimoz.mozdev.org
    What are mouse gestures?
    Mouse movements in combination with a click-hold and optionally a modifier that execute some browser functions. You press mouse button, draw a gesture, and release mouse button (you can choose which button to use in advanced preferences). This gesture is recognized and appropriate action is triggered.
    For details, visit our Supported Gestures page.

Configurations
    Mouse only configuration
    The default configuration is with the left mouse and no modifier key. This command set overlaps with the text selection methods. The unaesthetic highlighting feedback aside, it is possible for both functions to coexist. By pausing at the end of a text selection the mouse gesture will be cancelled. Gestures have by default a minimum size of 15 pixels. Pause before canceling gesture and minimal gesture size is configurable.

*nix Configuration
    If you've got a middle mouse button, use it!

Other Configuration
    To use the drag over link features, a modifier or non-left-mouse click setting is required. (Draging over link with left mouse button is used for drag-and-drop functions, you can for example drag a link to your personal toolbar.) These settings have the additional benefit of eliminating selection feedback and reduces interference with text selection. You can also choose more then one modifier key if you prefer.

Details on adding your own gestures, or disabling current gestures, can be found in this technote.

About
    Mouse gestures were first implemented in a browser in Opera. The idea traces back to the 70s with the notion of pie menus.

Andy Edmonds put the original XPI toolbar package together after hearing a reference to the need for this in Mozilla and discovering that Pavol Vaskovic had done all the hard work in building the event listener and configuration utility. See bug 76537. For more on mouse gestures in other applications, see this Eazel thread or recent rambling /. on this implementation. Gestures have also gotten lots of use via their inclusion in the game Black and White and in popular 3d modeling programs like Maya.

For operating system level gestures, see the commercial Windows Sensiva or open source Linux libStroke implementations.

The package also owes a debt to David Isley who's UserAgent Toolbar formed the inspiration for a quick way to get gestures into mozilla. Numerous others have contributed to the individual gesture implementations including Exotrip and the resources at bookmarklets.com, squarefree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep "hear hear", Nicky.

Another dastardly example is www.crash.net - a great site but why do they insist on not only disabling the right mouse button, but also preventing text from being hilighted! As I read I tend to scramble around with my mouse for no apparent reason, but I do notice when I am denied my simple text hilighting pleasures!

Worst.. episode.. ever.
    Wormly Server Performance Monitoring
    Don't wait for an SMS at 4am. Find out what's really
    going on and fix the problem. www.wormly.com/website-monitoring

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it very difficult to read text on a black background so I tend to highlight it whilst I am reading it!

That Crash site is worse than most. Not only does it not allow right-clicking, but it doesn't even tell you it is disallowed when you are trying to do it.

I have observed new and inexperienced web users. Once they manage to do something they expect to be able to do it again. ie, all underlined words are links so don't underlines words which aren't as people will think your website is broken when they click andit doesn't go anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... and the funny thing is, if someone has right click disabled, I go out of my way to actually see what was so important in their source.

Not sure why they insist on it really.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum
    Not sure why they insist on it really.
    because it gives them the limitless feeling of power when they see they can **** around with the user's browsing experience. "hah, f00l, p0wn3d" / "look ma, i can make that little alert box come up each time the evil men try to steal my ripped code"
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redux
    because it gives them the limitless feeling of power when they see they can **** around with the user's browsing experience. "hah, f00l, p0wn3d" / "look ma, i can make that little alert box come up each time the evil men try to steal my ripped code"
    I just sent crash.net this e-mail:
    Hello,

I would honestly like to know why your site disables right-clicking and text-selection. I can just as easily view your source code by clicking "View" -> "Source" in any browser and grabbing your code/text from there, or via disabling scripting in my browser's preferences. I would like to know how these actions make your site any more usable. I cannot even use my browser's mouse gestures while on your site, causing even more frustration.

If you could get back to me with a valid reason, I would surely like to hear it.

Thank you,
    Vincent Garcia
    Maybe if they get enough complaints they'll stop with the shenanigans!

EDIT: Here's the URL if you want to do the same:
    http://www.crash.net/contact.asp?language_id=1

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are probably hiding the fact that they use proprietary HTML mark-up, or maybe they want to trap the user by not allowing them to right-click and bring up the 'back' option with the mouse.

I can guarantee on some of the web development forums I regularly visit nearly every month several people will ask how can they disable the right mouse click menu.

I'll myself might send them an electronic message on a similar theme; just to see if something replies.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You tell them Nicky... I really hate it when a website tries to circumvent the way my computer works without giving me a choice first. For those sites that do, I rarely visit them a second time or give them more than a few page views. Maybe I should come up with a standard email that I can send them as well so that they realize that they are doing more harm than good.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bah... Very very very annoying. Very. I've started sending e-mails to people that do this, and other stupid things.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting problem occurred when I tried contacting crash.net with the old Mozilla Firebird it would NOT allow me to enter text via the keyboard into the form, so they are also discriminating against none Micro$oft Browsers.
    Last edited by xhtmlcoder; May 22, 2003 at 10:44.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up bookmarklet : unlock right-clic

Here is my bookmarklet for unlock pages :

javascript:function Child(n){var i,dd;if(typeof(n.frames)!='undefined'){alert('explore window : '+n.name);dd=n.document;if(typeof(dd)!='undefined'){dd.onmousedown='return true';dd.oncontextmenu='return true';dd.onmouseup='return true';Child(dd);}for(i=0;i<n.frames.length;i++){Child(n.frames[i]);}}if(typeof(n.getAttribute)!='undefined'){if(n.getAttribute('oncontextmenu')!=null){alert('I change : '+n+'\nthe attribute : oncontextmenu='+n.getAttribute('oncontextmenu'));n.setAttribute('oncontextmenu','return true');}if(n.getAttribute('onmouseup')!=null){alert('I change : '+n+'\nthe attribute : onmouseup='+n.getAttribute('onmouseup'));n.setAttribute('onmouseup','return true');}if(n.getAttribute('onmousedown')!=null){alert('I change : '+n+'\nthe attribute : onmousedown='+n.getAttribute('onmousedown'));n.setAttribute('onmousedown','return true');}}if(typeof(n.childNodes)!='undefined'){for(i=0;i<n.childNodes.length;i++){Child(n.childNodes[i]);}}}Child(top);void(0);

Warning : the first word is "javascript" not "java script" (the board break the word (for security ?))
    Warning : it works only with Mozilla/Netscape. I don't take the time to solve the incompatibility with MS-IE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed a lot of php pages deny right clicking, and yet I doubt it is because the person coding the page is doing it deliberately.
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revs_org
    I've noticed a lot of php pages deny right clicking, and yet I doubt it is because the person coding the page is doing it deliberately.
    Do you have any examples of this? You cannot turn of interface widgets such as right-clicking with PHP, you have to use javascript or vbscript to do that.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Enthusiast BuriedAlive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to send them e-mails with the code from some of their pages pasted on the bottom, to show them that they are wasting their time.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, as well find it utterly annoying. But using the standard Mac mouse i don't have to worry about the second button

It's not like they are protecting you from stealing the images either. They are saved to your HDD anyhow. I personally, probalby like most of you, see a site and sometimes like to see the source code to see how it is built on occasion.