User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alpha nightmares

Hello, new guy here at flash 4.
    I understand how to change the alpha after converting an image to an instance. My problem is I want to shape tween this instance along with a change in alpha but I can't do it if the instance is a symbol. I can only motion tween and I lose the alpha fade. Does this make any sense?
    Any help would be great. thanks
    love bone

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FLASH 4????

But seriously, the reason for your problem is this. You can only shape tween VECTOR GRAPHICS and then only if they're actually in the timeline, NOT in a symbol.

To shape tween your graphic (which probably isn't a good idea in all honesty, cos this will lead to a hefty file size) you need to use Trace Bitmap to vectorise your graphic, and then copy it in to the timeline. Also (and I think I'm right here, but it's not a tween type I use often) you can't use Alpha with a Shape Tween. It just doesn't work.

It would be better to think of a different effect that will give a similar output....

Hope that helps.

G

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. And yeah, Flash 4, it was free, and since I don't do it for a living I'd figure I'd just have a go at it and if it works, I'll upgrade.
    Everything you mentioned makes sense now. I just have this idea in my head for what I want to do and since I suck at this It's hard to find a workaround ya know?
    Thanks forthe help!
    love bone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you could get clever and use two separate tweens. One foreground tween that's an alpha fade in front of a shape tween..... might get the effect you're after with a bit of playing around.

Oh, and until you get in to ActionScript, there isn't a massive difference in terms of the basic animation tools between 4 and MX. So fair enough.... if it's free, learn on it!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, I just started some tutorials on ActionScript and I see that the majority of the changes do come in the actionscripting area.
    I think your idea may work with the foreground alpha fade. I was lookin' at the price for MX as I searched for tutorials...$499.00, ouch!
    But, the new actionscripting looks like it would make it pretty powerful!
    love bone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that I would ever do anything like that.... but there are key crackers for the demo lurking on the web.....

I think for learning purposes nobody would hold it against you.