SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it professional to crop?

Simple question. Im designing my photography site and I have enough pics to go into the layout process. Anyway, I had a quick question. Is it professional to crop your pics? Maybe if all the stuff in the pic isnt what you want to show people, should I crop it? I try not too. Ive seen a lot of photo sites that seem to have cropped there pics.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    "Truth is a pathless land." - J. Krishnamurti

I'm a cook. I knead dough. graphixkid's Avatar
    NH, USA . . . . . . . . Snowboarder: YES.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do a good job, cropping can look very professional. It is a good idea in many cases, such as when you take a picture, you may have unnessesary elements that you would want to crop.
    So yeah, basically it is a good thing to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. It's okay to crop as long as it doesn't affect the overall composition of the photo. In some cases, cropping enhances the composition, drawing more attention to detail. So use your own keen eye and creativity.

There is no such thing as a bad photo these days. I think almost any photo can improve with tools that are readily available to us all.

I look forward to seeing your site. I love photography sites. They are the most creative imo.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    even in traditional darkroom work, you always tend to crop at least a little ammount of the photograph around the edges (ok, unless you're a complete purist)...so go ahead, it's no crime..
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What exactly does it mean to 'crop' a photo?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cropping is removing areas around an image leaving the image area you want to be full image. It would be the equivalent to cutting a photo smaller to fit a frame. This also reduces the image file size.

As per if you should crop or not. I say do it if you think it would improve your image or simply if you want to remove and area. Its really up to you.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never really heard anyone but the hard core photographer (and even then...) saying you shouldn't crop a photo.

Personally I consider post-production to be part of the artistic process Sure, a good picture is a good picture, but it's entirely possible to turn a good picture into a great picture in the same manner as re-exposing an image in the darkroom: few little touchups to make it a masterpiece

J
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by think5577
    Simple question. Im designing my photography site and I have enough pics to go into the layout process. Anyway, I had a quick question. Is it professional to crop your pics? Maybe if all the stuff in the pic isnt what you want to show people, should I crop it? I try not too. Ive seen a lot of photo sites that seem to have cropped there pics.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    Hard cores say no digital editing, but I don't think that includes cropping considering they crop their print pictures all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Novapages
    Hard cores say no digital editing, but I don't think that includes cropping considering they crop their print pictures all the time.
    i'm hardcore (yeah right ) and my stance is: i don't do anything that can't be done easily enough in the darkroom. dodging, burning, cropping, sharpening is fine, but copying and pasting pieces of image around is where i draw the line (in which case i then don't class the finished piece as photography, but as a digital artwork)...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you can go ahead and crop it. Countless photographers will crop a piece of film or even once it is printed and or on their machine.

One of my instructors when i took multimedia was a professional photographer and she mentioned that people, who did digitally altered photography would go as far as to get the photoshop file burnt back to film and get the whole thing reprocessed back to as photo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redux
    i'm hardcore (yeah right [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) and my stance is: i don't do anything that can't be done easily enough in the darkroom. dodging, burning, cropping, sharpening is fine, but copying and pasting pieces of image around is where i draw the line (in which case i then don't class the finished piece as photography, but as a digital artwork)...
    There are those that even consider brightening up an image (which as you mentioned can be done in the dark room) as cheating. Not so much in traditional photography but in digital. I know with my camera and its software you can see all the exposure settings and focal lengths and everything - if you edit the photo at all, all that's gone, and the hardcore digital photographers will judge by that.

I personally pride myself on being able to fix poorly taken photos. Not with copying and pasting or clone brushing, but with careful level adjustments and stuff like that. But I also like taking nice photos in the first place, and that is what I'll consider the actual photography.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the EXIF data is kept in tact with every digital photo regardless of manipulation practices. I never noticed before because I don't use the EXIF data as much as I do trapping "traditional" photography data the old fashion way - with pen and paper.

FWIW, any image scanned into a computer is then considered digital photography regardless if the original photo was taken with a 35mm camera. The time it passes from negative or bed scanner to computer, its digital, even without manipulation.

I've never heard of photographer's not cropping their images. Then again I've never known anyone with perfect vision either.

[Edit] Please define Hardcor Photographers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by URAlly
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the EXIF data is kept in tact with every digital photo regardless of manipulation practices.
    i think jixxy meant that if a picture looks suspiciously bright, for instance, looking at the EXIF you can tell that - shooting it with those settings - it would have never come out that way, hence it must be a manip...

[Edit] Please define Hardcor Photographers
    a purist, a zealot, somebody who sees photography as a craft, someone always trying to achieve the best possible result on negative/on the ccd without the need for any additional manipulation...at least the way i interpret it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh hey, urally was right -- I just edited an image and the data stayed. I coulda sworn it lost that data on the pictures I edited.

Edited -- I just figured out why, hehe, whenever I do alot of tweaking I copy merged and paste into a new file before I save it as a jpg. And that makes it lose the data.

Edited again to clarify! hehe. The original photo doesn't lose the data, but the copy doesn't take the data with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Novapages, there is a way to save the EXIF data whenever you manipulate images. I found some info on it and will post it in the form of a tut because I think people may use this alot. You can do this in Photoshop. As soon as I get a break, I will write the tut and post the link here.

Redux, thanks for clarifying.