SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to build a personal site soon. I would appreciate it very much if you guys can help me by giving me your list of what materials should be in a personal site. Right now I can only think several components such as photo gallery and a short profile.

Thanx in advance.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends what the purpose of your website is int he forst place. Are you using it as a meeting place for family and friends? Ar eyou hoping to get a job as a result of your site? Or do you just fancya website because everyone else has one?

Think about why you are doing it!

Happy Halloween!

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal site, which is only half built is all about me. It started out as a questionaire for some newsletter or another, then just recently I've added in a friends page. Soon i'm going to add in a rants page, where I can convince everyone i'm a truly horrible person.

I might add some other bits in too, Adrian's Best of the Web maybe

Ady

PS - if you want the URL you'll have to ask.
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will be a re-build of my old personal site actually. That previous site of mine were built simply because I want to create a site. I was learning HTML for the first time and I just want to see what I can do. I was thinking that I should start with a personal site so I can easily experiment with it by adding new stuff such as JavaScript and stylesheets.

I am bringing the site back online due to lots of requests from my friends. So I guess my purpose this time is to use it as a place to go if someone want to know me and the environment I live in. The audience are my friends (both offline or online).

Adrian, your friends page seems like a good idea for a personal site. I'm not sure what will be in a 'friends page', but I'll email you soon to ask for your site URL so I can take a look at it.

BTW - Happy Halloween to everyone! :jackolant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My current personal site has a main page explaining what is on the rest of the site, a page with my resume in Html and .doc format a page with the sites I have done/or am working on, a "Stuff" page which will have some personal info about me. A page with some of my favorite sites/newsgroups, and a feedback page. I'm going to redo it though and make it more of a personal site and less of a an attempt at keeping it professional (maybe)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you leave a lot of white spaces! White spaces are your friends!
    Dynasty Host LLC
    1-866-307-HOST
    http://dynastyhost.com - Hosting
    http://resellerplan.com - Reselling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, may I know your current personal site's URL? I am interested with the section you refer as "a page with the sites I have done/or am working on". What's this page title anyway? "My Work", perhaps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is just to tell my family and my friends about my studying! And a place for me to write a public diary!
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it's better to come up with something more original. There are over 6 billion people, how many of those do you think are interested in who you are? Not even 0.1%. I think it's better to create a site with info that more people can enjoy than only your friends. But nevertheless it is a good way to start learning about HTML.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I don't want people I don't know to my site, what I meant about public diary is not what you think
    Diary is normally considered privacy. But when sharing with some other people, it is considered public. That's just it!
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can put your resume on, also a form to contact you.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by swoosh
    Brian, may I know your current personal site's URL? I am interested with the section you refer as "a page with the sites I have done/or am working on". What's this page title anyway? "My Work", perhaps?
    it is http://www.brianasselin.com I don't know how long it will be working for though as I canceled my hosting over a month ago but that domain is still working (the others aren't though). On the page I'm working on now I just call it my "Projects"

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can put up a photo gallery, perhaps a poll for your friends, some information about yourself and your interests. One thing I did (waaaaay back) when I had a personal site, was that I included links to sites that complimented my interests. Visitors who happened to stumble across my site were always glad that I took the time to direct them to other sites I enjoyed that they may not have otherwise found.

You could also put up a chat room, and of course, your basic contact information (that you feel comfortable putting online).

Good luck with your site!
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you only your family and friends to see your info, wouldnt email be easier and cheaper? you would have any costs basically, and you only send it to people you want
    Andysan :-)
    "do not despise the snake for having no horns for who is to say it will not become a wise dragon"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Andysan
    if you only your family and friends to see your info, wouldnt email be easier and cheaper? you would have any costs basically, and you only send it to people you want
    That depends. With My ISP (Prodigy) I get 6MB of web space included with my Dial Up account, with my previous hosting account I had 4 Domains and included, I payed $14 USD for brianasselin.com and it was included in my hosting costs so theoretically it cost me $14 a year for my personal site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Brian Asselin
    It is http://www.brianasselin.com I don't know how long it will be working for though as I canceled my hosting over a month ago but that domain is still working (the others aren't though). On the page I'm working on now I just call it my "Projects".
    Thank you for the address, Brian. It's a good personal site. I hope you don't mind I'm asking you this, but why did you cancel your hosting, anyway?

Originally posted by Sparkie
    You can put up a photo gallery, perhaps a poll for your friends, some information about yourself and your interests. One thing I did (waaaaay back) when I had a personal site, was that I included links to sites that complimented my interests. Visitors who happened to stumble across my site were always glad that I took the time to direct them to other sites I enjoyed that they may not have otherwise found.

You could also put up a chat room, and of course, your basic contact information (that you feel comfortable putting online).

Good luck with your site!
    Thank you for your feedbacks and encouragement, Sparkie. I have implemented most of them in my site except the links to sites that complimented my interests. I think that would be great.

Originally posted by Andysan
    If you only your family and friends to see your info, wouldn't email be easier and cheaper? you would have any costs basically, and you only send it to people you want.
    Yes Andysan, you have a point there. However, I just think that if I meet someone online, and he want to know more information about myself, I think I would prefer to reply him/her with a one-line email suggesting him/her to visit my personal site, rather than sending him/her the full story. I guess it is more simple that way, but that's only my humble opinion, of course.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy people!

Sorry i've not been around for the past few days. Work have been keeping me busy.

Swoosh: I will e-mail you my URL over the weekend I promise. I'd not checked my e-mail until today!

The next section of my home-page is going to be devoted to a couple of my hobbies. That's always a good starting point, it also allows people with similar interests to view your page and get in touch with you. I've made some pretty useful contacts this way.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Adrian, welcome back to the forum. That hobby section sounds quite interesting. I think I'll give it a try later. I'll be waiting for your link, thank you.