User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Functional technical specification

Hi all
    I have been working on a web project that will use php and Mysql and I intend to use OO design as much as possible and to use three N-Tiers, Data access, Business logic and Presentation GUI layer and as important as the project is the way I implement it using a defined process and sound software engineering methodology is more important to me and I intend to get some developers to help me after I finish designing my classes and the databases I have reached a stage where I am ready to start writing the functional and technical specifications after I have finished requirements analysis but I still have some ambiguity before I begin:
    1-I will write the functional specification from a userís point of view.
    2-The technical specification will serve as the basis for the Server specification, User machine specification, security and such issues
    But some questions arise:
    Should I include things like this field should be validated on the client side using javascript, Should I write stuff like redirect the user to another page on some basis, or use flash here and use Dhtml there in the functional specification?

My application is built around a fantasy soccer game so a lot should be done in the business Tier and it seems to me that after writing the functional specification a database designer should be able to work on the database and the data Tier will not make a problem, the interface tier also could be built but I think that it would be hard to go directly from a functional specification to class design and Implementation it seems that there would still be a missing document that states how the application would work internally.

So what do you think is there some kind of document I am missing out between the functional specification and the class diagrams one that would maybe include things like data structures maybe and such issues?

I would be really be thankful if you can give me some links to some documents such as functional specifications so I can validate my work and it would be really better if I can see some of your work.

I know that I have asked a lot but I appreciate any help or suggestion even if it was little.

By the way Harry if you read this, thanks for the book advice, and Congratulations may GOD keep an eye on your Kid (I am sorry if this didnít sound nice I am translating and old saying from my language)
    Best Regards

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you type in "functional specification" on google you get a lot of results.

Just had a quick look on this:

http://www.mojofat.com/tutorial/

It looks really good, should be a good starting point. And wasn't there a whole website on this subject somewhere?

Also I think that the FLIP life cycle from Fusebox (www.fusebox.org) is interesting; it contains some approaches to specs, I think.