SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm open to any comments on this redesigned site for my webdesign client. Please note: The Life Insurance link does not work. Neither to many of the sections in "Lessons for Investing". I'm looking mainly for comments about the overall design idea.

http://www.optimum-financial.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

welcome back, and with a beauty of a site.

front page general appearance. great.
    i clicked eMail first, i do not know why. ok, comment here, the whom to address is nice but addressing to an individual might make the operation seem small, might want to make the wording perceive a larger company.

the color difference between the text and the gray-blue is not clear enough. more contrast.

recommend a different view of the flag!

fund descriptions: the contrast between te fund header and the black text is just not enough. also try the text as a 2 instead of a size=1.

fund performance has good contrast between the header with the Fund Name .... and the size=2

check for inactive links for the CT Deferred Compensation, etc line. some are not working here and on the eMail page.

i click on lessons for investing and go to ct deferred.... not good.

its a clean and neat page. thanks for sharing.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, a well done site! It conveys the image that I have of a financial planner. Not flashy, but solid and reliable.

A comment about the masthead - I would suggest one of two directions here:

1. Since all the text is in graphics files, I would spice them up a bit - at the least, anti-alias the "Optimum-Financial" text so that it appears smoother. Maybe add a soft drop shadow, or subtle mouseovers on the links.

OR

2. Don't use graphic files. Simply use the table background colours that you have, and replace the graphics with text. It will look vitually the same, and will cut down on page loading times. (I would agree with edshuck to increase the contrast on the blue-grey background.)

and then 3: all your fonts on the site are sans-serif except for the title, and the Home|Contact Us. Don't know if that was intentional, but it may help unify the look if you had those in a sans-serif font as well.

A couple suggestions on the colour scheme:

1. Specify the text link colours to fit in better with your colour scheme.
    2. The word "Updated" on the main page is in a colour that I didn't find anywhere else on the site. Perhaps change it to a bold navy blue to fit in better with your other colours, yet still get the attention it needs.

One final comment - your home page's title comes up as "Untitled Normal Page". Your other pages are titled, and the main page needs to be as well.

Hope that helps
    m.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The image on the frontpage is blurry.

The optimum financial title is choppy, its like you used an off size text and/or didn't anti-alias it.

The other text-images are too blurry, don't anti alias these.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nice site, not flashy, but a site that would suit a financial advisor. There are some problems with the links on the top menu bar, which I am sure you are aware of.

The only thing I have to say is that I would perhaps change the color of the text links something besides the standard bright blue. And the Optimum-Financial logo at the top of the pages is somewhat odd. It is an image, but it's got no anti-alias, you might as well have used regular text, not an image. I recommend working on that logo.

[Edited by Macromedia on 11-02-2000 at 01:54 PM]
    -Nick

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few general comments:

1) Dark rich colors normally convey a deeper sense of wealth. Rich purples, and deep blues make people think of money. I'd try to stay away from the lighter colors you've used. http://www.e-highyields.com is a good example of the type of color I mean.

2) The graphics in your masthead are a little blurry, and hard to make out. As someone else mentioned, try anti-aliasing them a little more to smooth them out.

3) The photo is kind of confusing. You can tell that he used to be leaning on something (I think), but that's been removed from the photo. He just doesn't look natural. The photo is also quite blurry.

4) Navigation: You have so much room along the top of your page, why not add more navigation. When I click CT Deferred Compensation, I don't really get any new information, I just get two more links to click. Why not change CT Deferred Compensation to Fund Description, and another link for Fund Performance. One less click for your users.

5) I also agree with the email comment above. Change the matthill email to something like info@yourdomain.com. I wouldn't even list the emails if I were you, considering you have a form for them fill out right there. Just keep your radio buttons for Info, or Webmaster, and remove the addresses, people will just wonder which one they should use.

I think you've got a great start, and your client should be happy with it, but with a little tweaking, you'll be even better.
    Daniel Short
    DHTMLShock