SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Homesite = Dinosaur?

I've been hand-coding HTML with Homesite for 3 years now. I can pretty much code HTML with my eyes closed really. Well, I thought that was a GOOD thing until this morning. I had an embarrassing incident with a client that only uses Dreamweaver and left me feeling like a dinosaur.

I have always been opposed to WSIWYG editors but I know I must change if I want to have a job. I'm guessing that about 90% of the market is using Dreamweaver to code their HTML. Am I right or wrong about this? Or is it 90% of design agencies use DW while IT companies still are hand-coding? I have been out of touch lately due to my previous job and lack of work and clients. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a bit of both. Primarily I use Dreamweaver, not because I can't write the HTML code myself, just because it's quicker for most things. It wouldn't be practical to write all the code myself, I simply wouldn't be able to keep on top of my workload, but sometimes Dreamweaver just won't do what I want it to so I then go into the code and edit it myself.

I have recently started using ASP to integrate databases with our intranet and for this purpose I find it a lot easier to edit the code using Homesite.

I still think it is better to be able to write the code yourself, but there is nothing wrong with using a WYSIWIG editor to help you along.

Dreamweaver is pretty straightforward to learn, I just worked through the tutorial the first time I used it.

Good luck!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I hate WYSIWYG editors and that includes Dreamweaver. By writing my coding by hand (and yes I use HomeSite also) I can see what I'm doing and I don't need some piece of software to try to write it for me. As for doing things quicker, perhaps sometimes it can but having been on a course recently and taught the basics of Dreamweaver I found by the time I clicked on this and that option I could've code it by hand!

What software you use shouldn't be important, at the end of the day you probably can code in notepad so what does it matter if an employer wants you to use Dreamweaver? You can tell them it's for idiots only!

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who can do 50 pages of a complex layout faster in HomeSite than DW is either:

a) Fooling themselves, or
    b) A major guru

I don't see the point in saying WYSIWYG editors are all bad (or all good for that matter). Some things, they do well. Other things you need to get in and hack code manually.

Once you appreciate their limitations and differences, you can use the most appropriate tool for the job. Personally, I do about a 60:40 split between code editing and WYSIWYG editing.

But I don't use HomeSite. It's bloated, slow and complicated. TextPad all the way
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, WYSIWIGS have their place, and so do text editors. I've used Dreamweaver, but I find that it isn't specific enough in what I want to achieve, so I prefer hand coding - more control over the output and end result.

However, in the end it comes down to personal preference. Being able to use a number of different tools is always a good idea as well, so it wouldn't hurt to learn how to use a WYSIWIG editor.

If you're looking for something as an alternative to your old bloated HomeSite 3, try TopStyle 3 (it is now a complete HTML, XHTML, CSS editor, not just CSS). Its created by the guy who developed HomeSite and has lost all the excess that made HomeSite slow. An excellent program...You can find out more about it at http://www.bradsoft.com/
    Alex Graham
    Cadmium Design & Development
    www.cadmium.com.au
    alexandra@cadmium.com.au

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Alexandra . The next wave of web-dev is all about "the web". We understand it now. It's deeper than paper. Wysiwyg is dead. Topstyle will help you develop stunning css-p designs....it is the way forward
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow Topstyle looks awesome, it might actually get me off of Homesite+ after so many years
    I'm a spork!
    Frecial.com .: Finally a Website for the Digitech Generation
    HighlyInspired.com .: Web development

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hillsy
    Anyone who can do 50 pages of a complex layout faster in HomeSite than DW is either:

a) Fooling themselves, or
    b) A major guru [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    Or they are executing a GOOD design that uses common elements throughout, and they know how to divide the project into reusable code segments.

A static site with a few pages? WYSIWIG is ok. A large project with lots of scripting and database integration, and strict adherence to good Web standards? Keep hand coding.

If you are adept at hand coding, for cripes sake don't start using WYSIWYG!!!

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techmonkey
    Or they are executing a GOOD design that uses common elements throughout, and they know how to divide the project into reusable code segments.

A static site with a few pages? WYSIWIG is ok. A large project with lots of scripting and database integration, and strict adherence to good Web standards? Keep hand coding.

If you are adept at hand coding, for cripes sake don't start using WYSIWYG!!!

I'm adept at handcoding but I still appreciate the benefits of using Dreamweaver where it's appropriate. It just saves a lot of time - nothing to do with how "good" the design is. How are you going to create these "good" reusable components in the first place? If they're visually complex, I find it much quicker to build them in a WYSIWYG.

Jeez - this whole "handcoding is better" elitism really gets to me. Of course you get better code. But that doesn't mean handcoding is always the right way to do it. What's so wrong with saying "use the best tool for the job"?

(and why did I get sucked into this debate which has already happened 10,000 times on these forums?)
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hillsy
    [img]images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Jeez - this whole "handcoding is better" elitism really gets to me.
    Hmm, I'm just drawing from my extensive experience in integrating HTML with backend scripting, and commenting on what I've found to be the best process.

Sorry for being "elitist".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think neither notepad nor do-it-all tools like dreamweaver or frontpage are suitable for most projects. HomeSite is the compromise between both extremes which is the reason I use it.
    http://www.antosch-and-lin.com - Language Learning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LoL.. i don't think I've ever seen a post about WYSIWYG editors vs. hand-coding that hasn't turned into a battle...

My opinion, its better to hand code. But, people like things like dreamweaver.. it is all a matter of personal preference.
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!
    Follow us on Twitter