SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions about Sessions

hi there,

hope you guys can help me out with this:

is there a lot of resource drain on the servers if I employ plenty of SESSION usage in my scripts?

i'm working on a restricted membership system thingy that requires users to login, and then have SESSION variables to track their movements and usage across the website.

how much does the usage of SESSIONS affect the server performance, if, let's say... a few hundred users are logged in at the same time, and each of them have several SESSION variables assigned to them?

or is it better to use COOKIES for this purpose? my only concern with cookies, is that a lot of users actually turn these things off in their browsers, and some browsers actually do not support cookies at all?

thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would never notice the difference.

Don't keep worrying about server performance in cases like this, unless your server runs on an AMDK6 CPU with 32Mb or RAM then you will find it very hard to seriously dent the performance figures. And trying to optimise before the code is even written is bad practice IMO......

Can we go to a 48 hour day?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really the thing to worry about with sessions seems to be more the hard drive space. So if you want to check, find the session file on the server and multiply that by the number of users you are worried about.
    mitechie.com
    "Techies just think a little differently
    ...at least that is what they keep telling me."