Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Navigation within a movie

Hi there,

I'm still relatively new to Flash, and it seems that trial and error may not prove to be the best teacher in the case of this software. Where as I have managed to gain a fundamental understanding of animation in flash even with masks, I cannot for the life of me get to grips with navigation and actionscripts.

In my movie I have three buttons for navigation which appear at the latter part of the movie. There purpose is for going forward to additional parts of the movie which do not play automatically. I dare say I have not created the movie in the best way.

None the less my problem is I want my button when pressed to take the viewer to frame 1300 of my movie and play, however when I use the following script which makes logical sense to me, the movie merely replays from frame 1.

on (press) {gotoAndPlay("1300");

}

Please can someone tell me where I am going wrong or at least guide me to a Flash scripting for dummies book

thankyou.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for starters you shouldn't have quotation marks around the frame #... and also, "onRelease" works better.

Even tho technically correct (you could run a hellaciously long framed single timeline movie) ...however, flash shines and performs better if you think in terms of "turning movie clips on and off" by interaction with the navigation.

Movies within movies keeps things compact and keep the timelines within manageable lengths - useing layers and levels to stack content.Gotta get the concept of nesting down pat.

You should probably seek out alot of tutorials and downloadable .fla's to see how they are typically constructed and play with a guided source before venturing out on your own ... you'll have greater success that way.

invest a few bucks in a book as well...they usually have a lot of source files on disc to play with.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi thankyou both for the assistance offered. I shall have another go. Your comment about the quotation marks though, in MX when I don't use quotation marks it gives a script error anyway. When I do the script error does not appear. Same applies when I have used the geturl action it works with quotation marks but not without. Strange old program.

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by RelandR
    for starters you shouldn't have quotation marks around the frame #... and also, "onRelease" works better.

Even tho technically correct (you could run a hellaciously long framed single timeline movie) ...however, flash shines and performs better if you think in terms of "turning movie clips on and off" by interaction with the navigation.

Movies within movies keeps things compact and keep the timelines within manageable lengths - useing layers and levels to stack content.Gotta get the concept of nesting down pat.

You should probably seek out alot of tutorials and downloadable .fla's to see how they are typically constructed and play with a guided source before venturing out on your own ... you'll have greater success that way.

invest a few bucks in a book as well...they usually have a lot of source files on disc to play with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, for the on event handler, you have to be placing said code on a Button (or FMX will give you an error at run time)
    Code:
    on (release) {
       _root.gotoAndPlay(1300);
    }
    Would be the proper syntax. Quotes are used for LABELS or SCENES. You'll also want to target your movie. Since MovieClips contain their own Timelines, specifying _root tells it to gotoAndPlay on the root timeline.