SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, let's see how bright you guys really are. This is a question I have been asking of all and sundry for the last few months and whilst everyone seems to think it can be done, nobody knows exactly how.

I use Outlook 2000 as my email client.
    I have Windows 98 (Second Edition) running on my system.
    I use IE 5.5 as my Browser (Just in case it is a factor)
    I have two email addresses.

What I would like to do is to have two seperate "profiles" (as you get in Outlook Express) ie. seperate folders, seperate address book, etc. for each of my two email addresses. The best solution I have found is to create seperate folders and then to "Organise" the incoming mail so as to route it dependant on which recipient it is for. This is only about a 70% fit.

The only alternative I seem to have is to revert back to Outlook Express, but this obviously means losing the additional functionality offered by Outlook 2000.

I looked at the Microsoft Help sections for an answer. Needless to say I am now more confused than ever!

Any takers for this "Head Scratcher"?

Bill Conté [Protected by Psalm 91]
    Web Mechanix
    Growing OLD is Mandatory - Growing UP is Optional!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea. I never used Outlook Express. I was going to suggest the rules, but you already tried that.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It sounds like the Address Book functionality is what's missing. Try this:

1) Go to the help.
    2) Click on the Answer Wizard tab.
    3) Enter How do I set up different Address Books? in the "What would you like to do?" box and click on search
    4) Choose the first help topic (should be Set up a Contacts folder to display in the Address dialog box and see if that won't give you someplace to start.

Hopefully this helps a bit...
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Set up a separate Inbox for each user of a computer
    Click the Microsoft Windows Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click the Users icon.

Create a new Windows user profile.

Log on by using the Windows user profile.

Set up your Outlook e-mail account.

To use your Inbox, log on to Windows by using your Windows user profile and then start Outlook.
    For more information about setting up Windows user profiles and logging on to Windows, see Windows Help.
    -----------------------

Only way I know of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Brian Asselin
    Create a new Windows user profile.

Only way I know of.
    Brian - thanx for that advice. I have always been aware of the option of creating seperate Windows profiles, but what I am looking for is a simple option to switch from one Outlook "Profile/Account/User" to another without even having to leave Outlook, much less having to reboot my Windows session.

It looks as though I will have to forego the additional functionality of Outlook 2000 and go back to Outlook Express which to my mind is a better email client anyway!

Thanx for the advice and interest - it is really appreciated.

Dave - thanx to you as well. The address book is actually not such a train-smash. It is rather the other 30% that the "Organize Rules" can't deal with.
    Bill Conté [Protected by Psalm 91]
    Web Mechanix
    Growing OLD is Mandatory - Growing UP is Optional!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thespian,

I wanted to do the same thing that you are trying to do. I knew that it could be done because at work I have access to three seperate inbox's.

Unfortunatly there are only two ways of doing this, and neither of them is convienent. One is by setting up seperate profiles as others have suggested. The other way is by changing the settings in the options and seting up or connecting to an exchange server where the inboxes are stored.

[Edited by ddeile on 11-02-2000 at 09:19 PM]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by thespian

Brian - thanx for that advice. I have always been aware of the option of creating seperate Windows profiles, but what I am looking for is a simple option to switch from one Outlook "Profile/Account/User" to another without even having to leave Outlook, much less having to reboot my Windows session.
    [/B]
    You could try this E-Mail program, which does the separate accounts without having to log off:
    http://fox.hispeed.com/phoenix/us_home.shtml
    I used to use this because it can download only the headers of your e-mail and delete the bodies off of the servers (great for spam) becuase this girl used to always try to send me MP3s via E-mail (No, I don't want 20MB in my inbox)
    Anyways it used to do these things, I don't know about now.