SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I'm sure here are many experienced webdesigners pumping everything out from Photoshop However one day we all want to get known and try to apply our skills in helping big companies to make their webdesign.

What is required and what is expected from those people? Should they've been taking courses in designing and typography to be accepted as a designer? How can one get known, respected, and earn lots of money? To the employed ones: what is the average income for such a job?

thanx!

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've moved your post from the Trading Post to the General Chat Forum
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well First of all you must have something that is gonna get you the contacts. The skill and the designs. So make sure you have a really top site promoting your services and a good portfolio. If you don't yet have the clients for a portfolio make some sites and stick them up people need to see what you can do. Then get in with a crowd of web gurus like here and make your self know. Put site addresses in your sig's and you will get contacts start of small and work your way up. If you have the skill you will most likely get there, it just takes time. Don't give up and work hard for it
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think maybe the first thign we need to do here is define a "webdesigner".

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    velocity has just given me some tips for this topic With "webdesigner" I mean the design of the whole site, the structure, and contents of the pages with talents to create images and graphics like headers and logos etc around. I hope this is also the official description of "webdesigner"...

if not, tell me so

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always describe myself as a web developer - the way I see it the web designer only designs pages, but the developer can design the pages, do the code and put content in there etc.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with James about description. I call myself web developer because i am doing coding more and i am less skilled with designsad.
    Great Dane
    Gokhan ARLI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too, I describe myself as a web developer as to me a web designer is someone who has moved from print design into web graphic design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heheh well to me web developer is someone that deals with programing like server sided stuff and databases and a web designer is the person who designs the sites. The webmaster is the person that is in overall charge Just the way i think of it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try getting certified. I'm getting certified at the moment at my college along with my degree. A friend of mine just completed the certificate program and got a job immediately at a San Francisco software company. He is starting at $70,000 just by having his certificate and a portfoilio that was made during the certificate program!

The right contacts also helps. I'm connected with my local radio stations, which opened up doors to many clients in the entertainment industry in the SF Bay Area.

www.PaulAndre.com : My experimental photography site.
    www.NewMediaFirm.com : Low cost new media website design.
    www.bFlyers.com : Low cost business flyer design and print.
    www.iRevModels.com : Super import car models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say:

Developer - Code
    Designer - Design, layout, and navigation
    Master - outdated, probably a little of both

I think you need to have an excellent site of your own. It needs to have great looking design, easy navigation, and a fast/reliable server.

Next I would find some companies who have awful looking sites and offer to re-do them for a very low fee or even free. Then you charge them regular rates for future updates. Just make sure they understand this before you start. You'll lose some money on the first ones, but you'll have a great portfolio and happy customers to show potential new clients.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Velocity - love your Flash site. I am a bit anti Flash but I am quite impressed. The only thing that bugs me is those bouncing balls as they don't do anything!

But your site is a great example of what you need to start of selling your wares.

BTW, I hate Ferrari too, they cheat!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woah a "SitePoint Community Advisor" likes my site lol. I just built it to learn flash I like you am a little ati-flash but haven't never really touched the package I felt the best time was for my personal site. I used it to learn flash and there are stuff that could be improved as I haven't had the time to update it since I lanuched it. I am going to get a domain and have a proper name for my services and I have also linked up with a hosting company . I am amazed at the response from the site just showing people has got me the deal with the hosting compnay and my first client who was already a friend but didn't really know i was serious about web design .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too right Ferrari cheat as well . Just though i would add that sorry hehhehehe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thsi year I am making a HUGE Finnish flag for the British Grand Prix, I already have a Union Jack and a Scottish flag!