SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New site with MySQL

Was just wondering the typical setup for online applications that access a database. I have a project where my client already accesses a locally stored Access database, but would like to now make it available online. Would it be best for me to create just one database and have them manage it online via login/password and form fields. Or would it be better to somehow copy the online database periodically and make it available locally to them. Even though it is available online, they will still need to be able to access it daily for inquires in person and so forth. Does this make sense to anyone? This will be my first real live database setup (for a client, etc...) I don't want to rush into it, all help will be appreciated. Cheers!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never liked having a replica of a database in production. It causes lots of problems especially if both databases are updated. Even if only one database is updated, how will you keep the other one up to date? Copy every hour? copy every 5 minutes?
    Having a database online and taking care of updates online is a good idea but what happens when your client's connection to internet have problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah, that's what I'm saying, and I was hoping I could get some insight as to what others are doing. I would have to have the DB updated anytime a change has been made. Is this a reasonable assumption that I'm making, or am I being to hopeful? Please share your experiences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not build an online system that is available publicly if needed, but create some functionality that is hidden from the public and only for the admins (your clients). That way, you have a viewable online DB that your client can access and perform queries on anytime they like.

You don't have to make it MySQL. If they are comfortable with Access, leave it that way. Move the physical file to a web server to serve data to the web app. The client can use Access to connect to a remote Access DB. So, they don't have a local copy but a local view on the DB on the webserver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fine and dandy, but what if the site goes down? or latency increases periodically?

Can we go to a 48 hour day?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fine and dandy, but what if the site goes down? or latency increases periodically?
    You're going to find that there is no perfect solution. You need to evaluate the potential for the site going down, or a bad internet connection. I think that is going to be far less than having error come up out of a poor syncing scheme. I have moved several Access apps to web based apps because of the fact that it is much easier and safer to provide all remote sites with one set of data rather than find a way to sync them all together again. If it is down, well...you can't control everything. If it is that critical then you need to look at more expensive guaranteed hosting optoins as well as guaranteed (possible redundant) net connections for the offices.

It all depends on how far they are willing to go. In the end...nothing is perfect and that needs to be spelled out a head of time.
    mitechie.com
    "Techies just think a little differently
    ...at least that is what they keep telling me."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's great advice, really. thank you (where the hell is the handshake emoticon?) cheers bro!