User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious and would like to seek everyone's opinion:

Earnings coming from affiliate program is totally depended on the merchant's side.

1. Do you believe their honesty?
    2. How can you ensure they give you the correct commission?
    3. Just take for example, do you believe cj.com, etc. more than "small" merchants' affiliate program?
    Addto! e-commerce and Internet Marketing Directory
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.
    You can access various domain registration info. too

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely would believe a company like CJ.com over an individual merchant.

Not to mention the ease of being paid in one place, only one company to complain to when there's a problem, etc.

[Edited by WebDevPortal on 10-29-2000 at 08:34 PM]

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, i dont think its worth it for them to lie, as they are a reputable company, and i already recieved checks from them
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think big companies like cj.com will not deceive your money, but how about their merchant? Small companies though many of them are honest one, but they are more likely to deceive your money than big one. Just an idea.
    Addto! e-commerce and Internet Marketing Directory
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.
    You can access various domain registration info. too

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One documented case of fraud would put them straight out of business.

You can depend on click-throughs to be accurate.

Impression counts, however, never are. They're always low, for completely legitimate reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everyone and think basically the same thing as etLux. I think they just have way too much to lose to cheat people. If they cheated someone, the mercahnts would surely hear about it and then they'd more than likely move their affiliate program elsewhere because so many people wouldn't use it. I think you can trust them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, CJ is ok in my opinion.

One important thing to note though, that the only thing CJ can really track for sure is click-throughs, with Pay-Per-Lead/Sale programs it is still up to the individual merchant ( even if they are running through CJ ) to report sales/leads properly.

So, even if you are using CJ or any other trusted program, like LinkShare , keep your eyes open.
    Stefan
    http://www.aspcode.net - articles on ASP/ASP.NET
    http://www.findfreefonts.net - jquery/ajax experiment site

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stefan, I think the same comment as above probably applies to the merchants, as to the ad providers (sometimes called "brokers").

Although there may be a few merchants or ad providers out there who "skim" the count, the vast majority are going to stick to the mark.

There are two reasons for this.

First, as I mentioned above, one clear case of fraud -- and whether merchant or ad provider, they're out of business. That sort of thing will get around boards like this and the 'Net generally with incredible speed.

Second -- if you aren't making money on an ad -- you're going to dump it. So am I. I do it every day. So, it behooves the merchants to pay an honest measure if they want sites to continue to carry their ads.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I fully agree with you etLux, just pointing it out that just because a merchant is with CJ it doesn't give you any guarantees. There has been some complaints on some of the companies with CJ in the past ( don't remember the names, there was however some really upset voices in the CJ forum ( the old one ) )

Also it is pretty hard for an individual to prove the merchant is cheating, say if the merchant choose to not report every tenth lead or sale.

Stefan
    http://www.aspcode.net - articles on ASP/ASP.NET
    http://www.findfreefonts.net - jquery/ajax experiment site

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess there's always that risk -- if a merchant is damned fool enough to take it. It's fraud any way you slice it, and it's not just business suicide, it's jail time if someone proves it.

And you're right, I don't know of any good way for all the little guys out here to verify that a merchant is giving an honest count -- though I'd think major affiliate programs would exercise the prudence to conduct routine audits.

On the other hand, though, as I said, you always have the option of voting with your feet if you're suspicious of either an affiliate program or a merchant.

There are literally millions of merchants who want your space -- and hundreds and hundreds of affiliate programs, too.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, but if they want to cheat, im sure they can find out a way to do this.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe CJ takes deposit from merchant in worst situations.
    Furthermore, I also think that CJ merchant using very similar tracking systems! Or maybe CJ even provide them with a tracking system. I don't know for sure.
    But I know some using double-tracking system

Anyway, CJ is still the best in all affiliate networks, it collects your compensation from all program you participate! That's the best feature.
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've certainly not a bad word to say about CJ.com (Commission Junction) -- other than that they tend to be very, very slow on support questions.

They upgraded their whole front end and tracking system not too long ago, and it's quite good.

And I can very definitely tell you they pay, their checks are good, and they pay religiously on time.