SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: DHTMLShock

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, just looking for some feedback on DHTMLShock. Not necessarily content, but overall design and navigability. I know it's simple, but that's done purposefully.

I look forward to your comments.
    Daniel Short
    DHTMLShock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't had time to make a review for your site, but....

Happy Birthday, Daniel!!
    arty:
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

The addy seems to be dhtmlshock.com.

First impression

nicely centered - for me this is a serious comment.

on the first page: The centering of the Join the Shock-Zine! is nice. GOOD detail.

Ahh, now i see. the page is divided into four quadrants with the center point near the upper right corner. the line thickness for the menu box is the same as the quadrant lines. consider making that thickness the same as that used for the ad box in the lower right. Two focuses, two thicknesses.

This page might do better as 3 pages, breaks at what's cool and site news. this would also get rid of the box for site news. let the site news run a bit longer - date wise.

move the site search and the web search to the same area, but not at the bottom. this would be so the second time visitor would arrive, see the search, enter topic and go. and put the site search on each page.

clean site, well planned, designed for growth.

thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the birthday wish 123. I'm a whole quarter century.

Thanks for the comments Ed. I made some changes. What do you think?

http://www.dhtmlshock.com
    Daniel Short
    DHTMLShock

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice and clean site. Everything is pretty easy to find with a good navigation. The only comment that I can think of is that your logo is a bit blurry. If it wasn't so blurry it would make the rest of your site look better. Other than that, good job!
    Logan Thompson
    Aisle 55 Novelty Gifts
    www.Aisle55.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

that box border does look better. The floating box is a neat way of presenting the information. is there a way to call attention to the floater from the main and maybe tie them togeather. since is is "Hot Topics" maybe a little flame treatment on link from the main menu and then have the same treatment on the floater.

this may cause the load time to go logarithmic, careful.

i must go back and look at the effects of the site search. there are now two on the front page and although this is ok on a top * bottom arrangement, with one on the top and a second on the right side, it may not be that neat.

when i click on network search, a menu nearly if not identical to the right menu appears on the left of the arriving search engine.

more reviewers are welcome. you may have the perfect solution, or maybe there is no problem at all.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Got her crisped up :-)
    Daniel Short
    DHTMLShock

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I had to take the popupout, because Google won't run ads for sites that spawn popups.

As far as the two search boxes go. The one the right is in an include that's on every page.

The search the network link actually takes you to reallybig.com's site. All sites in the network have the same navigation bar somewhere on their site. It's a requirement for membership in the network.
    Daniel Short
    DHTMLShock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

ok, no pop up.

then you could go back to the page recommendation. or use a thumbnail ... more format for the front page.

i will be back about the search later

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all let me say I like it. The background isn't too distracting and the tables background is white (which I think is a must for a business site.) I know you said the navagation bar on the right is a requirement but is it possible to change the mouseover to match your navigation menu? This is a personal opinion but I don't like my scroll bar changing on me. I also think you should have your logo on every page. When I clicked on wish list I was expecting to go to a form to submit my wish list and instead ended up on the message board. Maybe your should rename the link. Speaking of the board I really like your logo for it, it matches perfectly with your shock one. That is all I can spend on it now. Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, your sites simple, but thats good, for a biginner.

The only things i could say is to remove some of the white and add a bigger logo.

Nice site..

I dont think the yellow and grey goes to good together eather.
    Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
    Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

termONE
    SitePoint Community Guest
    Nice. ITs got a nice effect and its got a decent layout. I especailly like the css you used with the text boxes and other items..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Grandmaster
    Yeah, your sites simple, but thats good, for a biginner.

The only things i could say is to remove some of the white and add a bigger logo.

Nice site..

I dont think the yellow and grey goes to good together eather.
    Thanks, I honestly don't consider myself a beginner, but that's alright. The site is not about flashy impressive design, but getting people the scripts they want as fast as I can. It's really quite sophisticated, with a complete back end administrator panel. Most of my sites are more "creative," but a webmaster resource is supposed to be usable, not artistic.

Thanks.
    Daniel Short
    DHTMLShock

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Site, I think I have been there before, I love DHTML, I just can't write it well.

Well Centered(duh!)
    Only bad:
    Logo could be bigger, it looks rather small compared to the ad above it.
    The whats cool section and section below might look better on a second and third page, or up towards the top(I'm not sure how you could manage that....

Very Very good site, I don't know why you thought it needed help.
    ~ ~
    8-Ball
    ~ ~