User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Database Driven Website using PHP & MySQL

Review of Kevin Yanks book:
    Most often when I start with a book teaching computer language I'm very excited and eager, and usually I am rewarded with a good experience. But after reading Kevion Yanks Book I'm sorry to say that the adjectives that pops up in my mind is: insufficient and boring. Insufficient because the text do not explane the PHP language in the examples given and because one need some actual (allready made) tables for the examples. It is boring because of the way it is written, the typograhy and the lack of "candy for the eyes" in the resulting pages of the examples. Allthough I've read the second edition (which just arrived I believe!) I must say that this book needs another rewriting! Find some more exiting database-examples, make the typograhy more clear, make the resulting HTML-pages more interesting and last but not least: be sure to explain what you do in the given examples.
    And by the way:
    I know it's buisness selling a book, but I almost get sick reading all those praising reviews on the books website.
    Last edited by larshgf; May 14, 2003 at 13:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just another customer here, not in any way connected to Sitepoint (except for being a member, that is )

And I must say I strongly disagree.

I like Kevin's writing style, but maybe that's just a matter of taste.

I found the explanations of the Php language, and of the database design and techniques very clear.

It is explained very nicely how to make the tables you need for the examples. And you could also download the cade needed to make them.

I actually thought it to be a good thing that the database examples are not to exiting. It shows you the basics and then you can go on from there.

Same for the less then exiting html output. This is not a book about learning html, so it's better if it's kept simple so it doesn't get in the way.

As for the lack of eye candy... It's a book about programming... programming is text... ????

Well, just hope I didn't make you sicker .

And if you have any problems or questions, don't be shy to ask in the Php forum.

Rik
    English tea - Italian coffee - Maltese wine - Belgian beer - French Cognac

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly agree with Zoef. I am new to PHP and got a kick-start from this book. The book, although not full of colorful pictures, is by far the best PHP/MySQL book I have ever found! By keeping the examples simple I was better able to understand the workings behind the code rather than how to make it look nice.

To me, when I am learning something new, I would rather see blue links on a white background and keep the code simple, rather than a "nice" page and a complex design to keep my attention. Picking up on the basics was hard enough for me, a more complex database design and longer codes would have turned my headaches into migranes.

Kevin Yanks book saved me from the pits of simple HTML. I would never go back, but there is no way I could have made it this far without his book (and of course the wonderful support of the SitePoint members . The main point I am trying to get across is that his book is for beginners, not the advanced. Trying to get that d*mn text to line up correctly and to come up with a more interesting topic than a joke database would just makes things harder than they already are.
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Dancing bananas!
    With a saying like "every second you live, you're one second closer to dying" you really ought to choose the best of the best. "Life is too short for insufficient computerbooks!"
    Talking about PHP & MySQL I would recommend a book written by Luke Welling and Laura Thomsen with the tittle "PHP and MySQL Web Development". The book is "second to none" with good explanations, with a lot of real world applications to use in your own web-development. Nearly 900 pages, with a CD. Good typography. You learn PHP and MySQL while you follow some very exiting applications, most of which you can use for yourself. The price on www.amazon.com is $34,95 like the before mentioned book by Mr Kevin Yanks.
    So listen carefully here!! I dont say Mr. Yanks book is useless - I just say that you can get books that are MUCH BETTER for the same price. So why not use those precious seconds in your live in company with a much more entertaining and educating book.
    As regards the Sitepoint Website I find it very usefull and admire it a lot.

Happy coding
    Lars - DK
    (And finally a proverb: "Life is too important to be taken seriosly")

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    larshgf, you moved from a respectful review of Kevin's book to a personal attack on hyperbolik.

People will listen to what you say with more respect and an open mind if you treat those who disagree with you with the same respect.

Regarding the book, I've never read the actual book, but I read the tutorials when they were online and free (before the book was published), and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I liked Kevin's style as he seemed to mix real world, but simple, examples in among his text, rather than giving too much theory or too many examples, he acheived a nice balance.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry - it was not meant to be a personal attack, just an exchange of views - I'll do my very best "to behave" in the future.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the book available in bookstores in other countries? Is it exported?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyw
    Is the book available in bookstores in other countries? Is it exported?
    You can get it right here . Just click on the Our Books tab on top of this page and go from there.

Rik
    English tea - Italian coffee - Maltese wine - Belgian beer - French Cognac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larshgf
    Talking about PHP & MySQL I would recommend a book written by Luke Welling and Laura Thomsen with the tittle "PHP and MySQL Web Development". The book is "second to none" with good explanations, with a lot of real world applications to use in your own web-development. Nearly 900 pages, with a CD.

(And finally a proverb: "Life is too important to be taken seriosly" )
    I agree with You on this. I got my own PHP & Mysql web development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomsen. I must say here that that book *is it!!.

It assumes nothing on the part of the reader and starts from the basics(beginner) to experts. Also has real life examples that one could study and work with. I am a beginner and just started reading that book and already know how to connect to mysql database, authentication, function calls etc.
    I only saw Kevin Hank's four sample chapters in "Database driven website with PHP/Mysql and no doubt its a good book but i really believe that a book that costs up to $35 should have more contents.
    Really dont know how much one can learn of PHP/Mysql database website development with just about 200 pages.
    My CANDID OPINION.

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have to check out this book PHP & Mysql web development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomsen. Thanks guys!
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I bought the original Leon Atkinson book and then met Leon at a meeting of the local php user group. Leon was quick to point out that the original book was the result of a need for another look at the php manual.

Then I found sitepoint. I already knew of Kevin from Sausage Island.
    When Kevin came out with the original 10 chapters, I was looking for something very similar. I needed a language and a database. I was considering perl.

I had no one to help me! Absolutely no one. I had never logged into mysql.

With the information in the lessons, I got my site up. Staggering. And then with Kevin, Freddy does PHP, Aspen, wayne luke and lots of others, old timers and beginners, things move forward.

For me, the level of explaination provided by Kevin works well.

Negative reviews are always necessary. There is not a lot to be leared from a cheering section. For me the lessons worked. I have four books, MySQL by duBois, Beginning PHP4 (Wrox), Core PHP Programming by Atkinson and the notebook containing the php lessons from Kevin. I use all of them, often.

My training is as an engineer (former Advisory Engineer at IBM and Siemens). From that expenience I would share that not knowing a customers negative reaction is a bad thing.

Thanks for sharing.

peace