User Tag List

Thread: Interior shots

SitePoint Enthusiast hypernovadesign's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interior shots

Hi to all. I am starting a new job next week. I will be photographing properties for an estate agent and my question is... What are the best camera settings to take good internal/external photos? Any tips, advices? I will be given Canon EOS 5D Mark III with 2 lenses 17-40mm and 28-135mm. Thanks for your help.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi there!

for internal photos (assuming the rooms are in low light)
    - I recommend to use the lowest ISO to keep the quality on high standard. aroung 100-200 maybe.
    - Make sure you will use a small aperture. Maybe F/10 and above. This will make your image more sharper.
    - Don't forget your tripod. Thant's is a very useful accessory. You might not use it because I think your camera can handle low light situations. But who knows?
    - If you have a flash, bring it with you also. If you can mix the ambient light with your flash, the outcome will be great.

external photos
    - Choose a proper time. Make sure the sun's light is soft and golden. That's the best time to shoot.
    - Also use the lower ISO settings.
    - Your 17-40mm is a great wide angle lens for these kind of photography. But in some situations, you will still need a more wider lens.
    - Again, use a tripod if you need too.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophy
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I would take a tripod or monopod as it may look light inside but it might not be. Personaly I would also take some bracketed exposures and make some HDR images using a program like SNS-HDR.

I think most estate agents have a compact camera and that's it; I suppose it depends on your market and how much time you want to take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baldboy18 View Post
    for internal photos (assuming the rooms are in low light)
    - I recommend to use the lowest ISO to keep the quality on high standard. aroung 100-200 maybe.
    - Make sure you will use a small aperture. Maybe F/10 and above. This will make your image more sharper.
    - Don't forget your tripod. Thant's is a very useful accessory. You might not use it because I think your camera can handle low light situations. But who knows?
    - If you have a flash, bring it with you also. If you can mix the ambient light with your flash, the outcome will be great.

external photos
    - Choose a proper time. Make sure the sun's light is soft and golden. That's the best time to shoot.
    - Also use the lower ISO settings.
    - Your 17-40mm is a great wide angle lens for these kind of photography. But in some situations, you will still need a more wider lens.
    - Again, use a tripod if you need too.
    1st of all thanks 4 your time and effort to write your advices here.

I will test taking photos on ISO100-200 on next occasion and see how the effects are.

I was thinking a tripod is a good idea however it will increase the time of taking the photos. Not sure if my boss will let me use it

Yes, we use flash with all interior photos to light up the dark areas & to ensure the photos are sharp.

Taking externals with the soft and golden light is an ideal solution, I know, but here in UK having a sun is not always the case

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
    I would take a tripod or monopod as it may look light inside but it might not be. Personaly I would also take some bracketed exposures and make some HDR images using a program like SNS-HDR.

I think most estate agents have a compact camera and that's it; I suppose it depends on your market and how much time you want to take.
    Yep, bracketing is a good method of taking photos as it involves taking the shot at three different f-stops, the one that your light meter suggests then one up and one down. Fortunately, the camera we use has a "bracket" mode.

We use Canon EOS 5D Mark III with 2 lenses 17-40mm and 28-135mm

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hypernovadesign View Post
    1st of all thanks 4 your time and effort to write your advices here.

I will test taking photos on ISO100-200 on next occasion and see how the effects are.

I was thinking a tripod is a good idea however it will increase the time of taking the photos. Not sure if my boss will let me use it

Yes, we use flash with all interior photos to light up the dark areas & to ensure the photos are sharp.

Taking externals with the soft and golden light is an ideal solution, I know, but here in UK having a sun is not always the case

Thanks again!
    It's my pleasure to help.

Trust me, shooting lower ISO gives you good image quality

Just explain to your boss that you need to shoot with tripod for a better and more sharper image.

less sun power is great! when the sky is blue especially when it's turning dark already, that's the best time to shoot (street and architecture lights are also starting to open).

have a great shooting day! if you could share us here the photos, I will be great to see it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, these are the brochures I have compiled so far (I had to remove the brand details and logos):

http://hypernovadesign.com/brochure1.pdf
    http://hypernovadesign.com/brochure2.pdf
    http://hypernovadesign.com/brochure3.pdf

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The two biggest challenges when shooting indoors are
    • Contrast
    • Content (especially for real estate)

And these are the two areas that, I believe, have the strongest impact on the final result

Let me explain.
    Contrast: When you are indoors, if there are ANY windows in or near the scene (always the case with real estate) a sunny day can be your biggest enemy. The huge difference between the daylight coming in the window and the actual interior lighting is a killer. Also, the difference in color temperature makes it very difficult to determine (manually or in the camera) the proper White Balance.
    For this reason a dreary, rainy day is really your best choice to take photos indoors.

Content: It is critical to "stage" the scene before taking the photographs. If there is clutter on surfaces, move it out of the frame. Be sure all the furnishings are square and neat (chairs pushed under the table, for example). Reposition or remove anything that adds clutter or distraction to the scene. Never forget ALL THAT MATTERS IS WHAT APPEARS IN THE FRAME OF THE SHOT.

I cringe when I see a set of Real Estate (particularly residential) photos where all they did was run in the door, go snap, snap, snap with a camera set on auto-flash and run out. The "Presentation" is awful and I am certain the potential sale of the property is affected by that. Just marvel at the care and patience applied to the photos of food for a menu board at McDonald's!

Best of luck.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hypernovadesign View Post
    Sure, these are the brochures I have compiled so far (I had to remove the brand details and logos):

http://hypernovadesign.com/brochure1.pdf
    http://hypernovadesign.com/brochure2.pdf
    http://hypernovadesign.com/brochure3.pdf
    Thanks for the images! Saw the brochures and seems that you're not bad at all!