SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MySQL install probelms

I installed MySQL to the c:\mysql and included the c:\mysql\bin directory. Something went wrong with the password at one point as I was getting started. I deleted the mysql directory and tried to reinstall, but it would not. Then I used windows to go back to a date prior to when I deleted the directory. Since that time, I don't know what exactly happened because I focused on get phpmyadmin going to run mysql from a web site. However, I would like to have mysql on my local system so I can play with it. My current problem is:

A new download of mysql will not install; it delivers a message that says the directory (c:\workdirectory\....mysql_dwnloads\...(i am keeping it short here) from where the install program is and then it says "perameter is incorrect"

so basically, it will not install.

When I try to install from the setup.exe file that is in the c:\mysql directory, it runs through a brief install shield and then stops and now my bin directory is gone.

How can I clean up this mess and start over from the beginning or how can I get a grip on this situation.

Thank you, any help is very much appreciated.

Charlie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you been able to delete the mysql directory?
    John

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I deleted it, but the new download tells me something is not right by displaying the directory of the downlaoded and unzipped mysql and that is followed with "parameter is incorrect"

I am looking at the windows system folder for my.* references. This must be something simple, but I managed to knock it out of balance.

Charlie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you unzipping it and preserving the subdirectories?
    John

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It turns out that I was unzipping first then trying to install (like I do with some other programs) and out of curiosity, I clicked the install file inside the zipped folder and it installed OK. I don't remebering doing it that way the first time.

I originally found myself confused and locked up after attempting the user and password login from the command line. I would like to avoid that trouble this time.

Is it necessary to login at the command line?

I can open the gui admin with no trouble. At the command line it appears I can start the mysqld-nt, but at the command line mysql will not recognize the "show" and "create" commands. Is this because I am not logged in even though I think I started the server with the mysql-nt command?

Is the command line user login and password the same as what the installed user / password was that ended up in the my.ini file?

I am assuming that the WinMySQLAdmin is referencing the same user data that the command line wants to see.

Charlie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you can set the root password and username using WinMySQLAdmin.
    John