Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    The problem with writing scripts that uses these kinds of forms is that your application will break down if the form stops working, is changed, or if the company catches you and blocks you (or sues you, if things turns really nasty).
    Hmm, good point, I might just send them email and ask them if I can send the sms with maybe some (big) advertisement specially designed for this 'target' group, that would make them happy (I hope)
    Then they might just create a nice (steady) form for me
    - website

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All!

I wanted to post here to set the record straight. There seemed to be a little commotion over the fact that someone in the States had not grasped the concept or even know what an SMS was. This is normal here. To start with although most countries have been using SMS for sometime it was not until very recently that US phones had the software activated to send and receive SMS. On top of that here it is not called SMS but is called Text Messaging. I was in the Cellular resellers business for 6 years and in my time saw very few phones with the ability to send or receive SMS. It was not until GSM started to take a foot hold that Cellular Companies started adding such features to there phone. Dont worry we will eventually catch up with the rest of the world.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greg.harvey
    Yes. You can here too if you're a registered user on their network. I have an O2 phone and I can send free SMS from the O2 website because I'm a customer. I can't relay SMS messages from my own site through their server though!

G
    Are you sure? Maybe they don't check the referal page (or you could spoof it). Its easy to CURL or fopen another site and make it think the PHP script is a browser.
    Kyle Maxwell
    www.kylemaxwell.com

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by website
    Hmm, good point, I might just send them email and ask them if I can send the sms with maybe some (big) advertisement specially designed for this 'target' group, that would make them happy (I hope)
    Then they might just create a nice (steady) form for me
    Well, as a person working with SMS messaging, I can tell you that 160 chars is barely enough to convey your message, let alone an advertisment as well, and especially not a big one. I'd say pay for gateway services if you are serious about it.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drosselmier
    Hello All!

I wanted to post here to set the record straight. There seemed to be a little commotion over the fact that someone in the States had not grasped the concept or even know what an SMS was. This is normal here. To start with although most countries have been using SMS for sometime it was not until very recently that US phones had the software activated to send and receive SMS. On top of that here it is not called SMS but is called Text Messaging. I was in the Cellular resellers business for 6 years and in my time saw very few phones with the ability to send or receive SMS. It was not until GSM started to take a foot hold that Cellular Companies started adding such features to there phone. Dont worry we will eventually catch up with the rest of the world.
    "Text messaging", eh? I like that. In Europe (and pretty much everywhere else) the marketers have been bery happy about the letter combinations. NMT, GSM, SMS, GPRS, MMS. All the phones are named N3427 instead of real names. God knows why, since it sucks from a marketing perspective. "Text messaging" is what they should call it.

With 3G, they are finally getting it right, and calls it 3G instead of it's crappy name - UMTS. The 3G (Third Generation) mobile systems are all the rave here in Sweden now. The systems are scheduled to have 99% coverage by the end of 2003, which is a deadline they won't make, of course, but hopefully, they'll not be too far behind. UMTS is very cool. 2Mbits wherever you are... Who needs WLAN hotspots anymore!?
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All!

And how is MMS taking of?

Rik
    English tea - Italian coffee - Maltese wine - Belgian beer - French Cognac

SitePoint Wizard dragonfly_7456's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is 3G like a cell phone internet connection? Man, it must suck having to always side scroll...
    Content Writing Service - Get custom SEO articles for 10$

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kylemaxwell.com
    Are you sure? Maybe they don't check the referal page (or you could spoof it). Its easy to CURL or fopen another site and make it think the PHP script is a browser.
    They'd be pretty dumb if they left it open for abuse. I'd be absolutely amazed, frankly. I'd be prepared to bet money they'd have you blocked already. It's not hard. It's just like turning open relaying off on a mail server.... tell it to only accept connections from "trusted" (ie: their!) servers. And as Mattias said, if you did succeed, they'd be seriously pissed when they noticed! You may get a letter from their accounts team and a bill for services rendered!

It is a pain, dragonfly.... though it's pretty cool too. My biggest problem is that the browsers are programmed to display in portrait. Flip it on it's side guys!! It isn't rocket science.... dur..... oh yeh.... that'd make it easier to use!

G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoef
    And how is MMS taking of?

Rik
    MMS is taking off here in Australia But we do adopt technolgy pretty fast
    All the major companies are advertising the new phones with digital camera's and colour screens now - I want one!

And yes, I've used redcoal as well and found them to be excellent...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're closer to Japan....

SitePoint Wizard dragonfly_7456's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum
    MMS is taking off here in Australia [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] But we do adopt technolgy pretty fast [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    All the major companies are advertising the new phones with digital camera's and colour screens now - I want one! [img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

And yes, I've used redcoal as well and found them to be excellent...
    Same here! What is MMS again?
    Content Writing Service - Get custom SEO articles for 10$

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On top of that here it is not called SMS but is called Text Messaging
    It's known as text messaging here too

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    "Text messaging", eh? I like that. In Europe (and pretty much everywhere else) the marketers have been bery happy about the letter combinations. NMT, GSM, SMS, GPRS, MMS. All the phones are named N3427 instead of real names. God knows why, since it sucks from a marketing perspective. "Text messaging" is what they should call it.

With 3G, they are finally getting it right, and calls it 3G instead of it's crappy name - UMTS. The 3G (Third Generation) mobile systems are all the rave here in Sweden now. The systems are scheduled to have 99% coverage by the end of 2003, which is a deadline they won't make, of course, but hopefully, they'll not be too far behind. UMTS is very cool. 2Mbits wherever you are... Who needs WLAN hotspots anymore!?
    good point, another example is internet connections, ADSL, SDSL, XDSL, ISDN etc.. and then this 256Kb which = 256 Kilo Bits, not Bytes like so many thing, I belive they are betraying us 7/8 of my internet speed ... :angry:
    - website

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly_7456
    Is 3G like a cell phone internet connection? Man, it must suck having to always side scroll...
    Well, generally, pages must be adapted for small screen devices. However, my SonyEricsson P800 smartphone, which uses the Opera small screen browser is totally amazing at breaking down even the most complex pages (including javascript-powered ones) into a format that suits the small screen. No sidescrolling needed whatsoever. Add to that that you can connect your laptop to your cellphone via bluetooth for wireless internet.

MMS is catching on here in Sweden - everyone is advertising camera-phones, but the darn carriers have not integrated their systems yet, so you can't send them between carriers. Until that happens (which most likely will be rather soon) it will not be an every-man-thing. I have no idea why in the nine hells they decided to waste hojillions of money on adversting before they had interoperability sorted out. It simply cannot be profitable to do that.

edit - and redcoal will start offering MMS messaging within a forseeable future!
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MMS is Multimedia-Messaging-Service. 3G stands for 3rd Generation and has come and gone here in Australia due to the cost of setting up networks - but it is coming back because the telcos think they can make a lot of money with it. For the moment SMS is huge here and in Asia, MMS is being rammed down our throats on TV. They sell you the phones for nothing and you pay a huge monthly bill. Nice. (Gee, wonder how MS' business model for XBox and their online gaming network will work

They don't advertise that it costs $4.80 AUD to send a picture/audio/video message. Wait till they get the bill!! Telcos are in for shock, but I know the 'mobile' or 'cellular' arms of their companies make 75% of their revenue from SMS or Text Messaging.
    Mick
    "You know what you know - but that's all you know!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by website
    good point, another example is internet connections, ADSL, SDSL, XDSL, ISDN etc.. and then this 256Kb which = 256 Kilo Bits, not Bytes like so many thing, I belive they are betraying us 7/8 of my internet speed ... :angry:
    That's actually 9/10 since every byte send will also have a stop and start bit .

Rik
    English tea - Italian coffee - Maltese wine - Belgian beer - French Cognac

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vbthanks
    MMS is Multimedia-Messaging-Service. 3G stands for 3rd Generation and has come and gone here in Australia due to the cost of setting up networks - but it is coming back because the telcos think they can make a lot of money with it. For the moment SMS is huge here and in Asia, MMS is being rammed down our throats on TV. They sell you the phones for nothing and you pay a huge monthly bill.
    Haven't telcos ALWAYS done this? MMS pricing is crappy now - it will most likely drowp over time as comptetition increases.

Nice. (Gee, wonder how MS' business model for XBox and their online gaming network will work
    I don't know about everywhere else, but here in Sweden, you currently buy a starter pack for about US$60, which includes 12 months. After those 12 months have ended, you'll renew your account for 12 more months (and I'm assuming the fee is slightly lower than the starter pack - since it includes a headset)
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Back on to using a PHP script to fake a browser and send headers, there is at least one VB app that sends fake headers to the ICQ site to send SMS. I've been trying to convert it to PHP but have lacked the time lately

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    couldn't you use classes like Snoopy to do this, fill out the form to send the sms and send it ?
    - website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /shhhh no-one mention three to the US guys
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdbeardmt
    /shhhh no-one mention three to the US guys
    They'll three you up if you do.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erm. Don't mention three to anyone on a dial-up either.... I've given up waiting for it to load!

Serves me right for still being in the 20th century at home I guess!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a way to send SMS messages through Flash Acrionscript: there is a free download at http://www.macromedia.com