SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

because you gotta have beer! firegryphon3207's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

getting re-started

I have a little or maybe a not so little question.

Our site currently has a little forum provided by bravenet. We are still rebuilding, but now is the time in which I have to start thinking, what's next....
    I'd like to focus on that forum. It's current form is not very encouraging to site visitors, and there are no moderators or anything that a good forum has. In fact, it has almost no features except we got to choose the backgrouond colors. I dislike it immensely and will drop it as soon as I can find something better.

Because we are non profit, $$ is always a factor. This also means managing it and getting it off the ground is up to me alone. so this leaves out more obvious choices like vBulletin, etc.
    Any suggestions as to something(s) I can give a test run(s) that won't require alot of programming on my part (as i'm not that great at it and don't have the time to get better fast)? I can get moderators from people within the organization, but actually administering it-that is completely on me and I'm a little ragged these days thanks in advance!
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    tinyplanet.org <--a nifty spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly haven't tried it myself (I use vBulletin), but Invision Board seems to be the best alternative. It has good support and features that actually make it faster than vBulletin at the moment, or so I've heard (just wait til vB3 though :P). You might want to check out the discussion on Invision vs. phpBB below this thread since they definitely are the forefront free forums, both of which should work fine for your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup... Invision is great, I run one, and it is easy to install and maintain.

I also run a phpbb, and it is good also, so the choice is yours...

because you gotta have beer! firegryphon3207's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by X Q mano
    Yup... Invision is great, I run one, and it is easy to install and maintain.
    That's my next question. And I know this might sound dumb. Where exactly am I installing this to? I don't have actual control over the server as we use a hosting company? And I was going to test run it on my personal site.......
    Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    tinyplanet.org <--a nifty spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are good help files included. And if I don't remember wrong, it tells you to make a folder called forums or forum or whatever you choose, and upload the files to that folder.

And choose the database you want to use of course.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the thoughts here about Invision Board (and phpBB's nice too) Installation is really easy for both, and consists mostly of two things...creating a folder like X Q mentioned and uploading all the files, and also creating a MySql database to use with the forum.

As long as you have access to create databases and upload files on your server, Invision should take about 5 minutes to install, and if you need any help just ask. Check out Invisions site at http://www.invisionboard.com/ and I've got a copy up and running at http://www.truestrength.net if you want to see a small board up and running.

HTH,

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!