User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Review Request - Webmaster Site & Fat To Fit Blog

Hello Guys,

One of the occupational hazards of being a webmaster, is the lack of physical activity during work hours. This usually leeds to a struggle with your weight especially if you like eating and have a slow metabolism. Unfortunately this has been the case for me for most of my life. Since 2001, I have had huge weight swings going from 70 KGs (155 LBS) to 120 KGs (265 LBS) and then back to 80 KGs (177 LBS) back in 2008 after 12 months training. Unfortunately due to a wide variety of problems in my life, I stopped exercising and lost my hard earned physique completely in a few years. I am now back to a unhealthy 107.76 KGs as of April 2013...

Realizing that I need to get rid of this weight and get back in shape, I decided to setup a blog to give me a bit more motivation in my quest where I can share my experiences and what I go through in this process. I feel that there might be quite a few webmasters and computer professionals around the world who are struggling with the same issue so I hope that the site can become a bit of an inspiration of some sort and a guide for my fellow webmasters...

As a webmaster blog, I will also share web development and webmastering related stuff with my visitors including free webmaster stuff which I hope will be useful for others as well.

So without further adieu, please feel free to visit http://www.spiffygeek.com and let me know what you think about the site. All comments and suggestions on design, navigation, content and other details will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your comments and feedback.

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spiffy,

You have a pretty good start here. I have a few suggestions.

The background with contrasting red and white makes the site’s content hard to read. I would suggest maybe having a center white wrapper around all the content and having your black background on the edges.

You need a description of the site somewhere on the home page so people know what its about. I couldn’t tell when I got there what exactly the purpose of the website is.

Your submenus in your slider on the home page are getting lost in the images and are hard to see.

Here is a good post on web design conventions,

http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/basics/conventions/

Hope that helps,

Shawn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Spiffy,

I accessed your website using Google chrome

The website is appealing to the eye. The gradient in the background is nice. I also like the panels,and how they "start" when hovering over them.

I would like to say that I feel the Free webmaster things are getting in the way more than helping your blog. It takes the attention away from the actual point of the blog which is to talk about your getting back into shape. Free downloads like that have always come off as dangerous to me. things like that, I am afraid will come carrying viruses,trojans ect. You should move all of that to its own site, and focus on your blog at the spiffygeek.

I would always recommend you update more regularly. I saw a first week of April post, but not much else other than the getting back on track. I would suggest updating every week at least, and label it with the actual date of the post instead of "First,second or third week of ..."

I am now trying to reread some things on the site,and I keep getting this "Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data". That is something else you may want to check on.

I would not change the look of the site

you are on a good road for an interesting blog.

hope this helps some
    Toni

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, this is a good project you're having. I like your objective. Had a look at your site and I feel that you should remove the gallery section which takes too much space for not that much use for the web visitor. Perhaps use a column layout and display your top posts in a widget and have your latest posts displayed above the fold. Also I find your header too be too big, reduce the size by perhaps 20-30%. It's a good start. And what what about adding social signals to your post pages ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the color scheme and the funny graphics. My criticisms mostly have to do with purpose.

If I o If I understand that correctly I think you would want to put that part of the link in the menu 2nd(next to Home). Maybe integrate RSS? The text on the blog posts is quite small and hard to read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the colors, the nice combination of colors. I like the clear design and user friendly interface. I would improve the contact page, as it seems somewhat empty (right side)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spiffy,

Personally I want to wish you good luck with your goal, and your blog looks awesome.

I cant think of anything that would be better on your blog. I think you have a great design, great content where you have some motivational stuff plus some freebies.

When you said the whole meaning behind the blog I thought it would very boring. But looks great.

I have subscribed

SitePoint Evangelist bradical1379's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using Google Chrome, I had some issues with the Javascript image transitions. In most cases, aside from the main splash image, they seemed unneeded and played no relevancy to your content.

The site loaded very quickly on my machine and I couldn't find any dead links. I checked my Browser Console and it looked clean throughout the site.

Great start to the page.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this and the idea surrounding it.

Critiques:
    The sections in the main body of the homepage dont seem to be aligning correctly, the bottom left one is wrapping into a 3rd row (Firefox v10)
    From a design perspective, it may be worth looking into borders and how you can use these to stop the background jarring with the black blocks, even little 1px solid grey lines surrounding some areas or similar could help smoothen out the look
    Worth looking into new fonts for the header