SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agricultural Commodities, News, Tips, Blog, etc (Website Review Please and Thank You)

Looking for a review of general design appearance, user friendliness, ease of navigation, and quality of content.

American Western land and Trading https://www.americanwesterntrading.com/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    out of 10

design appearance : 7
    user friendliness ease of navigation : 10
    quality of content : 10

the only prob i have is you need to make the prices stand out more so you dont need to read all the content like a table size to price would work

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the idea about creating a table with prices!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great site. User friendliness is good. When clicking on different tabs such as pricing, the scrolling pics took awhile to load. Could be just me, though. As stated above, I would BOLD the prices or a table would work.

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I think that I'm going to have to get rid of the scrolling pics because they are slowing down loading time for each page. Thanks for the review!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! As the others have said, you've made a great site! Looks good, works good. I think it needs a few touches to bring it all together, style-wise. My observations:

The font you use for headings, Seaside Resort, is so cool, but it loses its charm when bold. It's striking enough as-is, in my opinion, so the bold is unnecessary anyway. If I were you, I'd make all the headings match: using Seaside Resort, not bolded, and all the same colour (right now you sometimes use green, sometimes grey; although, if you want to use green for page titles and grey for subheadings, that could work too).

Your page content is squished. (I mean the contents of the white rectangle that sits below the title image, and left of the nav bar). I would space things out a bit more. For example, on your home page, there are six distinct sections:
    - page heading ("Welcome!")
    - first block of text (two paragraphs wrapped in a double border)
    - map, the subheading ("More Hay Info")
    - second block of text (one paragraph beginning "For a general idea")
    - contact info
    I would give top/bottom padding to all of these sections. I'd also put padding on all sides of text that appears within a border: right now, the words run right up against the border, and it feels tight and unfinished.

The small text on your title image (the state names) is hard to read -- yellow on yellow. You might consider using a darker colour but you also might just remove this text. Maybe you use this image elsewhere for promotions and there the list of states could be useful, but in this context (on your website) I'm not sure it serves a purpose: it won't be captured by a search engine, and it doesn't link to any additional info, so it neither draws your customers to you nor informs them once they're there.

Personally, I think Arial does not look good. I would use Verdana or Helvetica for your sans-serif font.

For your serif font, sometimes you use Georgia and sometimes you use Times New Roman. I recommend choosing one and sticking with it. (Personally, I would choose Georgia. Times New Roman, like Arial... people are just too used to it.)

You play around with letter-spacing in a few places. I understand the temptation, I'm always doing that myself. But it's very tricky. I don't think I've ever gotten it to look good; I always abandon it in the end. Sadly, I don't think it works on your site, either.

Good luck to you! I hope this has been helpful!!

(A quick aside -- hay shipping is a topic near and dear to me, and I'm curious: why do you not ship to Canada? I'm not just complaining, I'm honestly curious about the pros and cons that would go into that decision.)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it, one thing worth looking into is increasing the spacing between elements...could help readability of the content.

I like that the homepage gets straight to the point and says what the company does, it may be better to edit the main image for two reasons:
    Firstly, there isn't a a great deal of contrast between the background and the message.
    Secondly, there is a little good content in there that could help your rankings if you had it as text on the age rather than having it within the image?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, nicolaska, for your in-depth review. It was very helpful and insightful. I have actually gone ahead and made all of your suggested changes. However, I'm not sure what you were referring to when you said "You play around with letter-spacing in a few places." Anyway, I really appreciate your input.

And I guess we technically could ship to hay to Canada or at least some southern parts close to areas that we already ship to like the northern parts of North Dakota, Minnesota, and Michigan. I think the issue is that it could only be southern Canada because the further we ship from our farms, the more we have to charge for the hay to cover transportation, fuel, and wage costs. That is also why we don't ship to states like California or Maine. That could change in the future if our business grows to the point were we do have hay located further and further out from our Nashville, TN headquarters. Another issue would probably be trucking permits to deliver from the US to Canada. I'm not sure how that works though. We currently work with individual truckers in our current area, and I doubt if any of them have the necessary permits or the such to deliver to Canada. Canada will definitely be an option in the future once more of our hay is located outside of Texas, the South, and the mid-central US.

And once again, thank you so much for your suggestions!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ruudus, thank you for your suggestions!