SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Michigan and our senators are up for re-election.

With all the other political literature that I receive, I noticed one that said our senator is giving away 600,000 American jobs! I was a little shocked so I read on.

According to the English Language Political Action Committee, our senator is trying to bring in 600,000 high-tech, foreign workers. The ELPAC goes on to say (this the part that got me) that half of the Computer Science graduates can't find programming jobs. That many programmers with years of experience are being passed over for low pay foreigners. That qualified, American job seekers are relegated to lower paying customer support type jobs. Is this true? Aren't there more good paying, high-tech jobs then people?

I've checked into the ELPAC a little and I think their group borders on racism. Is this simply a ploy to blame yet another problem on immigrants?
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least here in Texas, we can't find enough programmers. There are tons of companies that lobby congress to pass laws that will bring us more high-tech, foreign workers. I think that ELPAC is loopy.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    over here in ireland they are crying out for ppl with any type of knowledge in computers most students start there first year of college and some company comes along offering them 30k+ if they come work for them straight away and leave college early
    Back Again

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ye, us and other countries are in need of more workers, all types of workes, so i would seriously question there claim that 50% of workers cant find jobs, i read articles where companies offer bmws as bonuses.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Across the United States there are 1 Million unfilled computer related jobs. I don't think that bring foreign workers is the answer though. We need to train and re-train American workers first. I know our unemployment rate is the lowest it has been in the history of the country but it is still above zero percent.

Money would be better spent on training and retraining American workers to fill the positions. Only then should we import labor.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was at 0 percent, a huge amount of companies would go out bussiness very fast.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, the current legislature under consideration would allow in more foreign workers but the businesses who hired them would have to pay a certain amount per "imported worker". This money, at least in theory, is supposed to go into a fund to train or encourage Americans to go into high tech jobs, thus the eventual goal being that we CAN fill the positions with US citizens.

As an aside, from what I hear, many foreign countries are facing problems as many of their most highly trained people are going to the US, etc. rather than staying at home to help develop high tech industries. Ultimately, I think it would be better for all sides if we could fill the jobs primarily with local talent. But I think that the current legislature under consideration may be a valid way to address the shortage in the short-term and has the added benefit that companies, not the taxpayers at large, will be footing (part of) the bill for increased training of our own workforce.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by sahar
    As an aside, from what I hear, many foreign countries are facing problems as many of their most highly trained people are going to the US, etc. rather than staying at home to help develop high tech industries.
    Yea, I bet thats a big problem. Everyone wants to come to the US, cause its bigger and better. Go us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you arrogant fool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Superbird, if you are joking, add a smilie face to your post. Otherwise, lighten up. jumpthru was joking, based upon his smilie. That is what those things are for--to indicate mood or tone.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    [B]Across the United States there are 1 Million unfilled computer related jobs. I don't think that bring foreign workers is the answer though. We need to train and re-train American workers first.
    I think this is the key. At least in this area, it is VERY hard to get a company to retrain you. I am currently looking for a job in internet, but since I don't have tons of experience except for the work I do om my own time, I haven't had any luck. It doesn't matter that what I have done, I've excelled in or that one of my biggest strengths is being able to adapt to new business concepts or technologies. Because I don't have the formal training, I can't go anywhere. And I'm too valuable in the position I'm in with the company that currently employs me to get training in a different area (unless I want to spend more of my scant free time to retrain myself at my own expense)
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style