SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I submited my site to yahoo over 5 to 10 times but with no luck and after i submited to Yahoo Canada and it got listed with in 2 weeks..

Also For example When I search For Lois And Clark Theres over 20 URL's to my site some to index.php3?FlyTo=Main
    , index.php?FlyTo=ScreenSavers etc

I though I would not get listed if i used that kind of navigation but i have and every one should try it..

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely agree and I try to remind people on these forums of this method all the time!

Submitting to Yahoo! Canada is probably the easiest, fastest, most reliable way to get listed in Yahoo! Even the paid method can't beat it - you still need to get reviewed by the main Yahoo!'s editors, which seem to be not only strict but stupid in many cases (i.e. SitePoint sites not making it in).

[Edited by simon c on 10-30-2000 at 02:34 PM]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't you get in trouble with Yahoo! if they found out that you submitted to Yahoo! canada and your business is in the US? Maybe they would delete you from the database?
    Have you ever been ripped off, lied to or cheated? If so, check out
    Baddealings.com

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the submission guidelines at Yahoo! Canada clearly mention that:

You may submit non-Canadian sites to their database, they simply give Canadian-specific sites priority in acceptance.

Any site accepted into Yahoo! Canada, no matter whether it was Canadian or just English, will be listed in the main Yahoo!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But what if you are already listed on the US or main Yahoo? Do you also get listed in Yahoo Canada? I've never checked.
    I know I had to submit like 4-5 times before I got in. Think it was a 3-4 month wait.

ronnie
    The largest selection of PLR Articles on the Planet!
    Many Private Label Rights Products.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're already in the main Yahoo!, there's no reason to submit to Yahoo! Canada. Traffic from secondary Yahoo! sites seems unworthwhile and you wouldn't want to risk your current listing (not to say you would lose it.. but who knows).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site will, however, still show up in Yahoo Canada.

If you go to Yahoo Canada you'll see that there is an option when you search to search for Canadian sites only or all sites in the Yahoo index.

One little trick I like to use when I can is to visit the foreign Yahoo sites and see if I can navigate my way down to where my site is. (Doing that instead of searching keeps the ?'s out of the URL).

If I'm able to pull my site up in, for example, the Canadian Global Yahoo Directory, I submit the URL where my site is listed to all the engines in the US that measure link popularity.

The engines already crawl the Yahoo listings and supposedly give a bump to sites that are listed in Yahoo because there is an assumption that those sites are of high quality.

The cool thing, is that by submitting pages from the foreign yahoo directories you are submitting a Yahoo unique URL. So, theoretically you could possibly get credit for being listed in Yahoo twice.

That's not gospel. But it sure can't hurt if you are tryhing to build up your link popularity and need a listing from a 'major' site.
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, i never thought of that, you learn something new everyday.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JK,

So you are saying, you submit the Yahoo link page your site is listed on? That is a different twist. I guess it's like saying, "crawl this yahoo page" right? Or making sure they all know your on Yahoo. It does seem like it could help, and it sure could'nt hurt.

I don't mean to get off the subject, but you talk about link popularity. Why is there such a difference between the engines on this? Or I guess the better question how can you even it out? When I check, I have like 1400 on hotbot, 1,000 on AV and then only like 300 -400 on the rest. Is there a way to even it out? Would this trick you talk about help? I would guess not all SE's spider as deep, or as much as others. would be the reason for the difference.

I wonder if you did it for all SE's? submitting each to all.
    No?

ronnie
    The largest selection of PLR Articles on the Planet!
    Many Private Label Rights Products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mon,

If your doing well in HotBot right now my hat goes off to ya!

That things's been driving me fits

As per Link Popularity I guess there are tons of reasons why your numbers vary. Perhaps pepole with inbound links just have not submitted their sites to some engines. Perhaps some engines have lazy spiders. Perhaps the engines have dumpped data (HotBot HotBot). The list goes on and on.

As per how you can even it out? Man, that could be a lot of work. But perhaps one way might be to go over to google and type link:yourdomain.com in the search field. That will bring up a list of everyone who is linking to you.

Then, open up another browser window and load in http://jimtools.com. From there just start typing in the URL's you find in Google into the JimTools Submitter and keep doing so until you are finished.

Make sure you use an alternate e-mail address though. If you use your regular e-mail address you'll soon be inundated with spam from some of the smaller engines.

That does bring up an ethicle question though. The question being should you submit web pages from other people's sites.

Perhaps that's more of a conversation than this thread intended, so I'll just mention that some folks prefer to create a gateway type page of all the sites that are linking to them and submit that. Thereafter they hope that the spiders will crawl the gateway.
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually being from Canada, had never tried it this way... tried it and hopefully it will work !

Anybody know how long it takes to get a response back from them ?
    Shawn Ryder
    Auto University Vice President
    http://www.autouniversity.com
    E-mail: shawn.ryder@autouniversity.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In most cases, about a week.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've submitted to Yahoo, Yahoo Canada, Yahoo Constantinople....it doesn't matter, they don't like me
    Daniel Short
    DHTMLShock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by ronnie
    JK,
    When I check, I have like 1400 on hotbot, 1,000 on AV and then only like 300 -400 on the rest. Is there a way to even it out? Would this trick you talk about help? I would guess not all SE's spider as deep, or as much as others. would be the reason for the difference.

ronnie
    What are these numbers and how do you check for them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, I tried this method a few months ago, and got in within a week. It definitely works

Jim
    http://www.freejavahelp.com
    Making Java REALLY Easy
    Tutorials, Forums, and Articles

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scuse me,
    Where is the submit page, the free one!
    I can't find it,
    "Where is the standard site suggestion process? For information, click here. "
    There's only "Business Express Program" available???
    Prometeo