SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not real sure which forum to put this under, but I figured someone could help me.

Does anyone know of like a javascript or some function that will allow me to adjust the "Text Size" that a person's Internet Explorer broswer is set to? If you're using IE, go under View > Text Size. A site of mine has difficulty looking good when that Text Size is set too big, and it isn't worth making all the fonts smaller so that it fits with the largest size.

I would want to set it on either Medium or Small, if that helps at all. Thanks.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you can do that although I may be wrong. Even if you can set it though I doubt you will eb able to stop the user from changing it if they want to. People who have diffulty with their site will no doubt want to be able to change it. Plus, if users are using screen readers (magnifies what is on the screen) you will not be able to avoid your text appearing bigger to them!

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although you can do almost anything with a script ~ and even if you could ~ changing the font sizing (or resolution, or colors, etc) on your visitor's browsers is stepping over the line...

Like Nicky has said, there are many viewers that have set up their browser to THEIR viewing convenience and not the web designers. I know many that have their browser fonts specifically set at large. It is the webmaster's responsibility to create a site layout & format that can be accessable to everyone.

For example before I upgraded, I could only view at 640x480 because my system crashed when I enlarged my monitor. I would really resent it and definitely not come back to a website if my system was adjusted without my permission.
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fundaments of CGI include the fact that the script shall not have access to the configuration of the users system, some limited modifications may be called by scripts although the user is first prompted before accepting changes a page mya be requesting.

And yes i did actually make that up...lol

The setting you wish to change is controlled by a registry setting and a script can not edit the registry, if they could hackers lives would be so easy.

A few things can be changed in IE with JavaScript, like the def. homepage, and add favourites dialog can be called.

SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know, you can neither detect nor change the View | Text Size properties in either IE or NS.

Even if you could, it would be inadvisable. Fiddling with the basal settings of a user's browser without his or her consent would be a great way to get a whole lot of people tee'd off... lol.