SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't connect to local MySQL server

The version of MySql that came with my distro (SuSE 8.2) was corrupted, so I downloaded the source version of 3.23.56 and configured it to install in /usr/local/mysql. It works just fine, but I can't get PHP/Apache to connect with my databases. I get an error message that says:

SQL error #2002, Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Of course there is no such file at that location, but I can't find a file named 'mysql.sock' ANYWHERE. What is looking for this file and where can I find it?
    cheers,

Darren Cassidy

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daliren
    The version of MySql that came with my distro (SuSE 8.2) was corrupted, so I downloaded the source version of 3.23.56 and configured it to install in /usr/local/mysql. It works just fine, but I can't get PHP/Apache to connect with my databases. I get an error message that says:

SQL error #2002, Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Of course there is no such file at that location, but I can't find a file named 'mysql.sock' ANYWHERE. What is looking for this file and where can I find it?
    sounds like you haven't started the MySql daemon..
    "Happiness doesn't find you, you find happiness" -- Unknown
    www.chuckknows.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have confirmed that MySql is running, but still no dice. My guess is that PHP is looking for the non-existant mysql.sock in /var/lib/mysql, but I don't see anything in php.ini that tells it to do that.
    cheers,

Darren Cassidy