SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Review my Name Generator site

I have been working on this site for some time, and it's now finally online. The website is a fake name generator, much like it's competitors online, except my generator is a bit more detailed in certain areas, giving users the ability to generate a short bio with their character.

The name generator is a useful tool for story writers and also people who want to use the content for databases etc;
    Feedback on these aspects would be useful please

- The design
    - The generator itself

http://www.namesgenerator.co.uk

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing is that the site looks very basic. I would suggest a lot more effort in design especially with the top banner that has your site’s name as well as segmenting the site so that everything doesn’t blend into one blob. Definitely get a better background too. Consider changing “Back Story” to Welcome or something of the sort. Also, there is no real need for the top buttons which just link to different areas of the same page. Either get rid of them or actually but all of those things on separate pages. You have a good basic site, but when I look at the site, I see a jumbled mess that I don’t feel like looking through. Be more thorough in your explanation of your site as well as a lot more design. Check out http://www.woorank.com which analyzes your site for free. Good luck!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been thinking about changing the design these past few days, like you say, to make everything a bit more organised.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its great and you are fortune you have keyword domain name that will help in seo.You dont take much time that is good thing

SitePoint Evangelist bradical1379's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an FYI, our works web filter gives me this when I attempted to click on the link:

Reason: This site is classified as an spyware infected web site.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right i see, anyone else experiencing this?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a cool idea lol i like reading the generated info lmao

but yeah the theme could use some work its a little dull but great idea lol good luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Interesting idea. LOL. Simple layout and design. Easy to read all the text. Maybe throw a picture or logo in the header to make it less bland. Good luck!

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Siick,

I have to say I have never seen anything like this before. I think you have a pretty good start but I would rearrange the info a little. Being that I didn’t know what the purpose of the site was until reading a little, I can give you some advice on where to have this info. I had to dig through the page a little to find it. I would bring the description of the uniquely generated data up above the fold. Preface it with a header like “How it works” and make that very clear and prominent. Next, find a way to make the generated data and button be above the fold as well and make the button more obvious.

Hope that helps,

Shawn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SITE UPDATE:: DESIGN CHANGE

Thanks for the feedback people, it's very much appreciated. I totally agree about the design aspects, and i have decided to tidy things up a bit. I have taken into account individual suggestions made by users in this thread and tried to implement them the best way i can into the site. Changes are now in effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design looks very basic and simple....add some borders to sidebars. Make the height of the widget to the content Height. White spaces at the bottom of the content is not good.

SitePoint Enthusiast Pamela Alina's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your template and the load time : just 869 miliseconds

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colors and design are basic and kind of bland BUT, I don't think that matters. The site looks clean and professional. I would rather keep it the way it is.
    The generator itself works just fine. I made a fake "ID" and it came out right so there are no functional issues there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh i re-designed the site because i agree that before it was too basic, but there really isn't a lot you can do with a site like this, especially with it being such a low content site. Many other sites which have a similar niche are designed in a similar way ie simple but tidy.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temlate is cool. But you need to add more elegance in your webdesign. I do not think present looks of this website can not be able to gather so much visitors. At present, contents contribute huge for any website, add unique, properly keyword densed, high quality web contents in your site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice idea and superfast load time. The design won't win any awards but it fulfils the objective of what you wanted to create very well.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI,
    so a couple of things i can think to take it further

- email/copy/save the info to somewhere. once i leave the page the info is replaced and i might want to be reminded of some detail i forgot. Might not be the most important thing as they are fake anyway but could be useful to get people to create an account and come back

- 'You enjoy Genealogy and Locksport on the weekends.' this is all very good except i don't know what Locksport and would have to check i am correct on Genealogy. another was 'Herpetoculture' so i would have to leave your site and google it. Consider having a glossary with these words hyperlinked to more information/definition.

hope that helps
    If i am a product of your imagination you should try harder!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Slick!

My first reaction to the front page is that the color scheme (black, white, grey, and faded yellow) seems very serious in tone. It makes me think of a dark police records office with manilla folders in gray file cabinets. Not saying that's a bad thing, just the feeling it gives me. I think more color (brighter overall color scheme) would give it a more lively and active feeling.

My next reaction was that the "identity" on the main page was just an example. I had the impression that I would go to a different page to do the identity generating itself. So I felt confused about the "Generate" button next to the identity. I clicked it and when a new identity appeared, that's when I realized that this was the generator itself. I think that separating the generator from everything (drawing more of a box around it, making it a different color, like it's its own app or something) would clarify that.

After realizing that this was the generator, I found the site to have a very clean and clear organization. I love how simple the page is. There's just the main page and a page explaining how to use it. I really like that. Not too much text, not too many boxes.

Hope this helps!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently seen your site and it's not bad at all though some efforts are required to make it go up to that level .. suggestion for the same are well available here ... just mix these with your ideas and have a perfect one.. all the best.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool idea. The design suits the app...clean, simple and doesn't detract from the application's purpose. I guess what'd I'd do now is watch how people are using it and ad features based on their use cases. An option to generate 100 identities and export it to a CSV file might be useful for people doing automated stuff. A generated profile picture might be another useful feature. Good luck! It'll be interesting seeing what you do with it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design is quite good in my opinion. However, the generate button seems to stop working. :/

Very interesting concept by the way.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the basic design, sometimes simple is the way to go.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

layout is simple and clean

Quote Originally Posted by Profferca View Post
    I like the basic design, sometimes simple is the way to go.
    layout is simple and clean and you have to improve graphical elements

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already have reviewed a website which is similar to this one..it was in the name of fake name generator..but seems like this website of yours has a better functionality..it is better than that one i guess.l