I have a script that when processed can either delete a huge amount of files from a given path on my server (200+), or transfer a huge amount of files from one directory into another directory, deleting the files from the first directory.

Both processes use PHP file-system functions, and are of the following functions I have defined:

PHP Code:
Function for deleting a directory, and all its files underneath (since rmdir() wont delete directories with files):

function 
deldir($dir){

$current_dir opendir($dir);
  while(
$entryname readdir($current_dir)){
     if(
is_dir("$dir/$entryname") and ($entryname != "." and $entryname!="..")){

deldir("${dir}/${entryname}");
     }elseif(
$entryname != "." and $entryname!=".."){

unlink("${dir}/${entryname}");
     }
  }

closedir($current_dir);

rmdir(${dir});

PHP Code:
The two recursive functions for moving files to another directory:

function 
dotransfer($firstpath$secondpath)
{
 if(
is_file($firstpath)){

$perms fileperms($firstpath);
   return 
rename($firstpath$secondpath) && chmod($secondpath$perms);
 }
  else if(
is_dir($firstpath)){

dodirtransfer($firstpath$secondpath);
  }
 else{
    die(
"Cannot copy file: $firstpath (it's neither a file nor a directory)");
  } 
}

function 
dodirtransfer($firstpath$secondpath
{

$dir opendir($firstpath);
  while(
$file readdir($dir)){
    if(
$file == "." || $file == ".."){
      continue;
  }

dotransfer("$firstpath/$file""$secondpath/$file");
  }

closedir($dir);

All three functions when called will perform their task as needed, but the problem is that I need to do these processes with 100+ files, and I've read numerous places that running lengthy scripts like this probably isn't the best method through a browser.

The other method is using exec() commands, which I have very vague knowledge on how to use. I don't own my own web server, therefore there are a lot of shell commands I'm unfamiliar with how to use.

From PHP.net I found that the following:
PHP Code:
exec("rm -rf /path/to/directory"); 
Is suppose to delete a directory along with all the contents.

This would solve my problem for the first function I have that deletes a directory, but I'm left with how to use exec() to transfer files from one location to another, essentially with how I was doing it with rename() and the recursion.

----------

Any thoughts on a possible fix for my issue overall? I'm not sure if the method I'm doing it by with PHP file-system functions is all that worse off.