SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash Socket Server

Im working with a friend on a flash Idea I had, part of that required me making a php based socket server which is done, It has some modifications to support our needs however I was wondering if I should take it a little further.

I know there are a couple out there but the ones I saw where not cheap for commercial use ( half the reason I built my own ) and not to easy to expand ( the other half ) expect for one if you knew java which I just dont enjoy using.

Basically just trying to figure out if its worth my time to go beyond what I have now, and what features people might want If I do move further with this project.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what your end aim is...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I plan on releasing my basic version thats almost done for free regardless of what I do, and charge a small fee for the advanced version that would include unlimited upgrades/access to any pluggins I make and support.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good plan - releasing an early version will allow you to get feedback on bugs and on what features users would like to see in future versions.

I'd say there will be an increasing demmand for this type of product - everyone wants their Flash sites to be more dynamic these days.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JUst out of curiosity, have you looked into patServer? Its a PHP based socket server API, that allows one to build a socket server for flash to talk to with relative ease. http://www.php-tools.de
    I have written quite a few things with patServer and flash, if you ever have any questions about its capabilities.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completed my basic server and have the advanced portion worked out, am just ironing out the hooks for modules.