SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a first-effort.

I hope it's at least 'friendly'.

I learned volumes from this very forum.

Friends and family say only good things...now it's time for objective opinions from people who've 'been there'.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Melody
    http://www.jdsfamily.com

[Edited by MSeon on 10-28-2000 at 02:51 PM]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

my first reaction was WOW. I want to start with an evaluation of the first page.

your treatment of the header is superb. the use of colors is both unique and quiet. i like the way you put the. in the nook of the Y in family. it says several things first that the dot goes with the com and that the family was firmly planted before. i could go on but the sum is that you thought out that header and consiously or not you say a lot.

the front page is a piece of art. Families join. your line and arrow leads us gently forward and makes me want to follow.....
    i would normally maintain the need to use a single logo/header with a single design and colors but the treatment here is very nice and appropriate. it creates flow kind of stream-like rather than regulated.

the only problem i found was a navigation back to loggy from the jds page. there is one at the bottom but i would recommend a return at the top as well. a script arrow in the form of the arrow on the front page - but shorter.

a truely wonderful page.

thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    This page WOW's me! I could see it being your fifth or so site but not first(don't read that the wrong way, I do belive you that it's your first page!)

The colors are unique but very nice.
    The content is awsome! It's packed with so much information I don't know where to start(that could be bad)

Overal it's a very, very, very, very nice site!

Justin Sampson

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed:
    Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my site.

I now have to convince myself that the wonderful page you describe is actually mine!

In terms of the navigation back to the lobby, I was not immediately sure which page you were speaking of. However, after looking things over, I see that each of the branch pages (from the pull-down menu) could, indeed, use a top-of-page return. I will definitely fix that.

Thank you again. You've made my day!

Melody

[Edited by MSeon on 10-28-2000 at 08:58 PM]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justin:
    Thank you for visiting my site.

Thanks, too, for the praise. Yep, this is my first effort. Hopefully, if and when I get to the fifth try, the effort won't be nearly as agonizing - but just as rewarding.

Thanks again.

Melody

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is most impressive!

In the Site Index area it would be nice to have a different color aside from orange on the green background. It is a little difficult to read with these colors.

It would be nice to have the grey headings in the main part of the page a little larger, and bolder text within them.

On the splash page you may want to move the counter away from the center where all the important information is located. Ideally, the counter ought to be way, way down on the bottom of the page.

-- David

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David:
    Thanks so much for your input.

I agree that the colors in the index area could have better contrast. I've been unable to come up with an alternative combination that I'm happy with. I'm glad you mentioned it since I thought I was just being picky.

Re: Counter location:
    I had the same inclination initially - put it out of view. In the interim period since it's placement, it seems that my main visitors (family members) are getting a kick out of watching the numbers.(laughing)

However, I definitely see your point and there's no telling where it'll end up.

Thank you again for your thoughts.

Melody

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI, very nice opening page, I really like your logo!
    I think it is a good site to also inspire others to do the same thing, You might want to do an ezine to help others embark on family lineage.

Good layout and easy to manuver!
    Merle
    www.recipes4learning.com
    Free Recipes 4 Everything!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merle:
    Thanks for visiting.

The concept of an ezine is intriguing.
    If nothing else, it fosters a host of possibilities.

Thanks for the nudge.

Melody