User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WYSIWYG editor for PHP

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on starting a membership based website soon. My problem is: I'm a PHP newbie. And most of my work in the past few years was done on MS FrontPage.

Since this new membership site is going to be writen in PHP, I cannot use FrontPage. It seems that using Windows Notepad to code the whole site could take AGES.

I have a template, I'll have a logo, I'll add contents, members-only pages, etc.. etc... I'm not sure how I'm going to do all this in Notepad

Is there a WYSIWYG editor for PHP?
    Is there any software that would help me out here?
    I hear about Editize.. Is it the right program for the job?

Thanks. Any comments or links that could help out would be appriciated.

Jimmy.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure there is a WYSIWYG editor out there, since PHP is server-side, not client-side. Download an editor like EditPlus and go on from there. You'll learn a lot more that way.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like it might be good if you bought a book or some tutorial about php -- Just learn the VERY basic minimum about programming php/mysql so that you understand the environment better.

Then, you will be able to make a great decision about what tools to use! It seems to me that, reading your question, it would be helpful for you to get a little more background -- because the question you are asking has no simple answer..
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the above but if you're going to use an editor I'd suggest using one that is dedicated to just php since that is what you're coding in.

www.maguma.com has a good free one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    editplus has also got syntax highlighting ... www.editplus.com

and yes, I would recommend learning php basics first because belive me, once you finish your site, you will have learnt so much on php that you want to start from the beginning and make a new one...
    this can go on endlessly as a matter of fact
    - website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use a WYSIWYG editor on the non PHP stuff (assuming the site is a mix of PHP and HTML). - If all the HTML is echo'd from PHP then you are stuffed. Likewise if the site is going to be OOP, then you are stuffed.

Macromedia Dreamweaver MX can do some PHP stuff and it has some good resources for connecting to databases and so on, but I think it is pants without knowing the PHP in the first place, because it will not display anything server-side. - You'll just end up loading the files on a webserver and viewing in the browser, just as you would if you were using notepad.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use crimson editor ;p
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I was thinking about doing.

First, get my HTML things done using FrontPage. Images, Links, some of the contents, templates, etc...

When I'm done, I copy the HTML code from FrontPage to Notepad or conTEXT, and from there, I embed PHP codes in them.

I hope I don't mess it up

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally though I would never have used Frontpage in any instance - it's a ****e application

Drop Frontpage and begin to use a proper editor - ie DW MX.

Next begin to learn PHP so you do not need to use the bad script and db api which DW MX gives you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a program called PHPEd from Nusphere that is sort of a WYSIWYG PHP editor/IDE. It has Apache and the PHP binary built in for displaying it. I didn't really like it as it was buggy and I just prefer running Apache seperately and using an editor like EditPlus... but some people swear by it

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Livingston
    Personally though I would never have used Frontpage in any instance - it's a ****e application

Drop Frontpage and begin to use a proper editor - ie DW MX.

Next begin to learn PHP so you do not need to use the bad script and db api which DW MX gives you.
    It's not that easy.. I've been using FrontPage since 1998.. 5 years now.. We've been through a lot together

Thanks for all the help and links guys. I think I'll start using EditPlus or conTEXT, and see where I can go with this.

Jimmy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver

-forever.
    If pigs could fly, the prize of bacon would reach the sky.

www.dosspirit.net - Norwegian
    reviews of DOS games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Egghead
    Macromedia Dreamweaver MX can do some PHP stuff and it has some good resources for connecting to databases and so on, but I think it is pants without knowing the PHP in the first place, because it will not display anything server-side. - You'll just end up loading the files on a webserver and viewing in the browser, just as you would if you were using notepad.
    There is an option to configure dwmx to parse php when you hit f12 to view it in your browser.
    You need to set the option when defining your site. You also need php installed locally.
    You can't view the php during editing mode but you can when you output it to a browser.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamW
    There is an option to configure dwmx to parse php when you hit f12 to view it in your browser.
    You need to set the option when defining your site. You also need php installed locally.
    You can't view the php during editing mode but you can when you output it to a browser. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Ah yes, yes, yes... but it's no different when you are editing it as the php code is shown as little icons in the design view. (That's what I meant really.) I don't know of any editors that can actually show live 'served' pages as you are editing them. Would be a rather neat trick heh?
    I do like DW MX though, but my favourite editor is PHPEdit. I think everybody should give it a try. It's only a small download compared to most behemoths.