SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fade in photoshop?

Hi all.Iím working on a splash logo for my new website. Iíve made a lot on it, but then I run into a problem...My problem is, that I want to have a dotted line, but the start of the line has to be all faded out; opacity to 0 and then, slowly it has to increase to 100...I hope you know what the hell Iím talking about, because I canít find an example right now. Have been looking at different pages, but canít seem to find, something familiar.I know how to make the dotted line, but how to fade it down?Another problem, there is familiar to this, is how to make a straight line, and make the start and end of it, faded. And then, the middle is strong in its color...Iíve tried different methods, but none of them, seemed to workIs there someone there have a tutorial or can tell me, how too. Iím sure that it is very simple, but still Ė I just canít find a way to solve this problem.
    Best regards
    Emil aka Public2

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There may be better ways to do it, but this'll work:

Create a new channel.
    Set your foreground/background colours as black/white.
    Drag the gradient tool from on end of you line to the other.
    Load channel as selection (at the bottom of the channels palette).
    Select the default RGB channel.
    Copy the selection to a new layer.

I'd use a similar approach for you second problem, but add a mid-point to your gradient in the gradients palette.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just apply a layer mask to the layer with the dotted line on it and fill it with a black to white gradient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very very simple. [img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

-- Click the layer with the line on it, to activate it.
    -- Click the "Lock" (transparency) checkbox top-left on the layers palette.
    -- Pick the Gradient tool, and from the Options Bar choose the "Linear" style.
    -- Swatches should be Foreground white, Background black (press D key then X key).
    -- Start the gradient tool at the end you want faded, and drag it toward the other end. Then release the tool.

And that's it.
    NOTE: This example is assuming your line is black and background is white. But if yours are different colours, then choose those for the gradient tool settings. Just make sure your foreground colour is the same as the background colour the line will be sitting on.