SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there something wrong with my community?

hi, im trying to build a web development community and things arnt going to plan.

the actual site is under development however its still very functional.

i have offered free advertising for forum posts, moderators and other such rewards but people just dont want to post?

am i doing something wrong? what suggestions would you give me?

OH.. the site is http://www.*******.com

thanks
    Last edited by LH-Andrew; May 11, 2003 at 03:38.

Wishful Thinking webmasternovis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finish your site first. I doubt there would be that many posts until a site like yours is actually finished - as there are so many other places like it.

Just keep plugging away, adding content and eventually the posts will come.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how to get to the forum from the main page. I can click on one of the discussion links but you really should have a more prominent link to your forums home page.

Other than that I really like the style and layout. I think it has a lot of potential. Just keep in mind you've chosen a highly competitive subject where there are already several very successful boards out there.

Join some of them and link to your site in your sig. That would probably help. Also get your site listed in a bunch of those webmaster resources directories.

It's a problem all of us have faced. There are some general tips people can give but for the most part it seems to be hit or miss. Some crappy boards (in every respect) go on to become very successful whereas some of the best laid out, best run sites flop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, as i see u allow ur customers to advertise for posting and that's a nice way to get ur board going... but i think u need to put it in a more emphatic manner... maybe add a box which tells ur users about the forums on the main page content as kilcher said... that would surely help... try to get ur site name around to a lot of people like adding it ur siggy, or affliating with some other peoples.. maybe lestablish link exchanges with similar sites and wait for it to grow soomthly.... and yes, just have a team of 2-3 people which answers most of the Q's at board promptly in every sense... that would sure help if not make it better....

-ruchir
    Peace.

SEO Link Building Master I, Brian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People won't want to spam your board if it doesn't have any real traffic.

You really need to work out your market niche, and then expand out from there.
    Internet Business Forums - free business help & advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep u need traffic flowing + u need some active members (maybe ur friends etc)