SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 27 of 27
  1. #26
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Jeff Mott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,149
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dklynn View Post
    PLEASE, learn something before making more erroneous comments here!
    For example (straight from the documentation):

    Redirect Directive: Sends an external redirect asking the client to fetch a different URL. The new URL may be either an absolute URL beginning with a scheme and hostname, or a URL-path beginning with a slash. In this latter case the scheme and hostname of the current server will be added.

    ...

    redirect|R[=code] Forces an external redirect, optionally with the specified HTTP status code. Use of the [R] flag causes a HTTP redirect to be issued to the browser. If a fully-qualified URL is specified (that is, including http://servername/) then a redirect will be issued to that location. Otherwise, the current protocol, servername, and port number will be used to generate the URL sent with the redirect.

    ...

    From Old to New (internal)
    RewriteRule ^/foo\.html$ /bar.html

    From Old to New (external)
    RewriteRule ^/foo\.html$ /bar.html [R]
    Whether we use a full URL or not has nothing to do with the term "external redirect." An external redirect, quite simply, is any 3xx response.
    "First make it work. Then make it better."

  2. #27
    SitePoint Evangelist captainccs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems the problem is not in htaccess at all but the httpd.conf file.

    For the application I'm developing it seemed a good idea to give each client a sub-domain

    http://client.domain.com/

    mostly a vanity thing but one which would allow each client to customize (skin) their account and not have to go through a common portal or landing page to get there. Later I found that if the sub-domain part of the url had a mistake the user would get a server not found error message. The solution was to create a wild-card (*) sub-domain. Then, provided the domain itself was correct, php would be able to deal with all the problems. I set it up and when testing I got some weird results. I had already set up two sub-domains. A url with www.client.domain.com acted different than a url with www.wildcard.domain.com. I think I tracked it down to the httpd.conf file. Being on a shared server I don't have access to this file so I can't be sure.

    Thanks for all the help!
    Denny Schlesinger
    web services


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •