SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple Flash Game

How can I make a simple flash "hurdles" game? What I'm looking for is to control a figure on a "track" When you press the up arrow, I want the character to jump, stay in the air for half a second, then land. I want the "track" with the "hurdles" to be a scrolling animation going to the left. If the character doesn't jump, and "collides" with a hurdle, I want the game to end. I've attached a simple Microsoft Paint sketch of the character and 2 hurdles (Will look much better in flash).

Sorry that the attachment is a bitmap - The computer I'm on is really crappy .

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the method of doing this involves the "detect collision" actionscript. This consists of some code in the "Trace" action I believe, but nothing has worked for me yet.

-Josh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if your question is "how can I make the game", that's really too broad of a question. I recommend Macromedia Flash MX Advanced Actionscript by Jobe Makar.

Remember that the Trace command only sends data to the output window during design time. During run time, it does nothing, so tracing is really only used for troubleshooting. You'll also need to read up on the hitTest, as the call it, which monitors for "detected collisions"

SHIZA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it also depends on what you want, do you want it to go faster? or keep score? then it turns into a pain but if you want a simple scroller it's pretty easy just look at flashkit.com some pretty nice examples. but if you really want to get the full gist of flash go for what aaron said also try the flashbible(sp) it's a alot of $$ but you get what you pay for. (about 1000 pages to be exact)
    Pixel Engineer