SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a web professional; I am putting in new webserver(s)for my company. The product we offer utilizes a webserver very heavily, unfortunately I don't know how heavily yet. The transaction is simple our app make a bunch of CGI calls to a server but minimal data is returned other than a small http header. The server is not doing anything other than receiving those little cgi calls. If the numbers are correct I might receive a ton of little transactions. I have decided to attack this problem from the other side of the equation.

The webserver is a dell power web 100. It is pretty cool because it is a fully functional server with in the size of a pizza box. It is connected to my collocation so it has a very fast connection to the Internet backbone. I am running apache on a Linux 2.2 kernel, with sw raid between two u160 drives. How many transactions CGI or otherwise can the machine handle? Of course dell didn't know. Take you average pc with a webserver on it how many can it handle? Is there an equation that I could run to get an idea? Any Ideas on where to look? URLs? I can't be the only one to ask this question.

Brett

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize I guess I should have told how many with in a peroiod of time.

How many per sec?
    How many per min?

Sorry for the confusion.
    Brett

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a very theoretical question and really can't be answered with the information you have given.

What is the bandwidth? 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps ethernet cards?

Software RAID will definately slow you down but not a lot.

CGI isn't very efficient so it will slow you down as well. What programming language are your CGI scripts in? PERL, PHP, C++, Java? Of those java would be the slowest.

If PERL or PHP consider adding in MOD_PERL and MOD_PHP. PHP4 will be faster than PERL.

These little tiny transactions, what are they doing? where is the data being stored? How is it being stored? Indexed Database tables will be faster than flat text files.

If your Packet size is 1 KB then you would be able to run approximately 100 packets a second on a 10Mbps Asynch ethernet card and 1000 packets a second on a 100 Mbps Asynch ethernet card. This doesn't account for collision, errors or lost packets though.

For what your doing you would be better off buying the Dell PowerEdge 2450 with Twice the Memory, Hardware Raid and the same drive space for less than $100 more. 64 Megs of RAM (base PowerApp.Web configuration) is a joke. The PowerEdge is 2U (3.5 inches) as compared to the 1U (1.75 inches) configuration of the PowerApp machine so it doesn't take up much more space.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "That is a very theoretical question and really can't be answered with the information you have given. "

Agreed, I was wondering of the infinite varible which ones ar the most important?

"What is the bandwidth? 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps ethernet cards?"

DUAL 10/100 Mbps INTEL CARD

"Software RAID will definately slow you down but not a lot."

AGREED

"CGI isn't very efficient so it will slow you down as well. What programming language are your CGI scripts in? PERL, PHP, C++, Java? Of those java would be the slowest."

I am currently using plain jane perl 5. I try mod perl or even c.

"If PERL or PHP consider adding in MOD_PERL and MOD_PHP. PHP4 will be faster than PERL. "

I'll check it out

"These little tiny transactions, what are they doing? where is the data being stored? How is it being stored? Indexed Database tables will be faster than flat text files."

I am just writing the the info to a file, the information is gathered on the client side then sent to the server. I am grabbing some HTTP header stuff like, browser and OS, it is being written into the files as well. Pretty simple stuff. There is no database involved at this time.

"If your Packet size is 1 KB then you would be able to run approximately 100 packets a second on a 10Mbps Asynch ethernet card and 1000 packets a second on a 100 Mbps Asynch ethernet card. This doesn't account for collision, errors or lost packets though. "

Good data thanks

"For what your doing you would be better off buying the Dell PowerEdge 2450 with Twice the Memory, Hardware Raid and the same drive space for less than $100 more. 64 Megs of RAM (base PowerApp.Web configuration) is a joke. The PowerEdge is 2U (3.5 inches) as compared to the 1U (1.75 inches) configuration of the PowerApp machine so it doesn't take up much more space."

It is a Dell power web 100 with 256 Mb of memory. I'll take a look at the 2450.

I am going to move the thread to another forums, under the tools area it seems like a better fit.

Thanks for the info.

Brett

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me that you haven't really thought it out. Like Wayne said you would be much better running a database server rather than writing to files - even MySQL would be a vast improvement on flat files and of course would be easier to retrieve data from at a later date through SQL.

It seems that you have to much money to throw at the problem and not enough thought. Just my 0.02 worth though.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Seems to me that you haven't really thought it out. Like Wayne said you would be much better running a database server rather than writing to files - even MySQL would be a vast improvement on flat files and of course would be easier to retrieve data from at a later date through SQL. "

The reason I was posting was to get some ideas on how to scale and what it would cost to fix the problem I was dealing with. I will admit the questions I was asking were rather vague in the beginning. My hope was to open a dialogue with people who enjoy sharing knowledge and happened to have dealt with the problem in question. I was not looking for people with more experience than I to flex their mental muscles, I am not impressed. It never hurts to be nice; I always try to lend a hand or thought when possible especially on a forum meant to help.

I would like to move it to a database and will eventually build the plumbing to do so. But the data that I am gathering will eventually move to another company so they can store and do analysis on the data collected. So for now I think ill keep it in a flat file. I will build all the code necessary to do the transfer to the database when the other company is involved.

"It seems that you have to much money to throw at the problem and not enough thought. Just my 0.02 worth though."

The irony of this statement I am trying to figure out how to scale the problem to save money. I cannot go out a buy all the hardware that I need, nor do I have nearly the budget for DB licenses, yes I know MySql is an option but it is a little premature to bring in a DB, considering the involvement of the other company. I just find it funny that I am trying to pull this all off on a desktop machine and "I have to much money to throw at the problem".

Enough said thank you for taking the time to try and answer my questions. I appreciate both you and Wayne's comments I will take them into account when I am sizing the final machine. As a note I wrote the CGI interface in c and got better performance thanks for the heads up.

Brett