SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which version of my Sign Shop website is better?

Hi everybody,

I am designing a website for my dadís Sign Shop in Miami. I would really appreciate it if you could take a look at the 2 versions Iíve created and take a quick 10 question survey I created for user feedback to help me figure which one would work best and what could be improved. It is not meant to have the ability to sell signs online.

Please keep in mind that they are not 100% complete, but the general structure and content is there. I am really just trying to get a feel for which would be better before I complete either one. Also, please keep in mind I am not a professional web designer and anything I came up with is MUCH better than what he has currently.

Imagine you are looking to buy a banner, magnetic for your car/business, or some stickers to put on a window. The 2 versions are Signs2 and Signs3 and the survey is here if you don't mind taking it.

I appreciate any constructive feedback.

Thanks again,

Craig

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the survey but I'll leave my comments here. I think signs2 is great! Really flashy and colourful, which is want you want given this is a signs shop!

As for constructive criticism on signs2: The different pages follow different styles. I think it would look more professional if you were more consistent. For instance, the headings: you use one kind of heading on About and Products/Services, but the other three pages use three different headings (even if the differences are slight, they're noticeable and jarring, taking you away from the actual content). Same with text: on Home, About, and Products/Services, it's put inside a turquoise box, only in bold on About and Products/Services, and not bold on Home; and then on Clients and Contact, there's no turquoise box at all.

I hope that was helpful! Good luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolasks View Post
    I did the survey but I'll leave my comments here. I think signs2 is great! Really flashy and colourful, which is want you want given this is a signs shop!

As for constructive criticism on signs2: The different pages follow different styles. I think it would look more professional if you were more consistent. For instance, the headings: you use one kind of heading on About and Products/Services, but the other three pages use three different headings (even if the differences are slight, they're noticeable and jarring, taking you away from the actual content). Same with text: on Home, About, and Products/Services, it's put inside a turquoise box, only in bold on About and Products/Services, and not bold on Home; and then on Clients and Contact, there's no turquoise box at all.

I hope that was helpful! Good luck
    Thanks. That was very helpful!

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Csh8428,

Of the two I can’t decide on which I like better as both have some things that are good and some that are not good.

For example in signs2, I like the orange, green and teal buttons and the other naviagation but you have have way too much going on in the page. Too many colors, too many arbitrary things like the dog that do not add anything to the site. If you went with signs2, I would cut out that whole middle portion with the dog. There is just a lot going on and its confusing to look at.

In signs3, things are little bit more calm and its easier to see what you have to offer however it doesn’t look as professional as it could be. There again you also have too much going on.

With web design, you have to think about what it is you want to do with each page. What do you want visitors to do when they arrive? For the home page, its common to tell people a little about your business and since it’s the most linked to page for most sites and the most advertised, its important to use it as a conduit into other portions of your site. If you try to do everything on the home page, you won’t get anything done. Think about where you want to lead people and only have those elements present.

Keep things above the fold. In signs2, those three buttons are nice and could lead people deeper into the site however they may never see them because they are past the point where you have to start scrolling to see them. If people can’t find what they are looking for right away, they will leave.

I highly recommend this book,

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Make-Me-T.../dp/0321344758

Its cheap and it’s a quick read. It gives a ton of really valuable, to-the-point information about how consumers evaluate and use web pages. I think you have a good start on your pages but there are some very basic conventions that are not being addressed.

Best,

Shawn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smanaher View Post
    Csh8428,

I highly recommend this book,

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Make-Me-T.../dp/0321344758

Its cheap and it’s a quick read. It gives a ton of really valuable, to-the-point information about how consumers evaluate and use web pages. I think you have a good start on your pages but there are some very basic conventions that are not being addressed.

Best,

Shawn
    Shawn,

Thanks for the book reccomendation and feedback!

is craving 'the potato' slayerment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like either. Of the 2 I think signs2 is better.

I think you should focus less on javascript and animation and more on good, solid design. The site is overdesigned in a bad way.

The header is too busy and there is no continuity there. I would extend the background the full width or remove it. Right now it doesn't flow at all. I would recommend integrating the header w/ the navigation better. Right now the two don't work together and look as though the designs were taken from two different places and then put together.

I would remove the text that looks like watermark text on the main homepage banner.

Again, the whole site does not flow. The header, the nav, the homepage graphic and the text w/ the blue background all do not go together. Everything looks like it was designed without the other elements in mind. They should share common elements and work together.

The footer looks good. That can stay.

Overall the site is lacking in trust and comes across kinda spammy. Those are my thoughts, not meant to be mean. I understand that you're not a professional and I'm just giving you these comments to help you out. At this point I would recommend working off a wordpress template and tweaking that.

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think sign2 is much better.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, i dont like either.

Signs 2: Does a better job representing what your business is about. But looks more like a small mom and pop shop. Which would be fine except you are saying you are supplying the whole miami.

Another thing i noticed since its a mom and pop shop look i thought the prices would be cheaper then anywhere else. Which is a good thing if your prices are cheap.

Signs3: looks too corporate, which doesnt show what type of business your in easily as the first one and this one hints that your proces are on the same level as the big corporate companies.

Hope that helps.

-Legend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the http://craigdj55.wix.com/signs3 better because the general structure of this version seems to be more original and clear. I find it enough user friendly and easy to navigate!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like both sites in each of their individual ways, i like the colours on the first design and the clarity and cleanliness on the second site. If i was to go with either site i'd probably go with the firts one. One comment i can make is that the first site seemed to load a bit slow, why i don't know.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csh8428 View Post
    Hi everybody,

I am designing a website for my dad’s Sign Shop in Miami. I would really appreciate it if you could take a look at the 2 versions I’ve created and take a quick 10 question survey I created for user feedback to help me figure which one would work best and what could be improved. It is not meant to have the ability to sell signs online.

Please keep in mind that they are not 100% complete, but the general structure and content is there. I am really just trying to get a feel for which would be better before I complete either one. Also, please keep in mind I am not a professional web designer and anything I came up with is MUCH better than what he has currently.

Imagine you are looking to buy a banner, magnetic for your car/business, or some stickers to put on a window. The 2 versions are Signs2 and Signs3 and the survey is here if you don't mind taking it.

I appreciate any constructive feedback.

Thanks again,

Craig
    Hi Craig,

For me, its Signs2 that looks better. It looks little professional than Signs3. But it would be better if you choose another color rather than red on it. Its a dark red that symbolize the danger. I just put my views what I thought about your both designs.

Thanks & Regards,
    Ajay Rana
    Last edited by Stevie D; May 29, 2013 at 06:10. Reason: Fake signature deleted

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I much prefer version 2. Much cleaner and more professional looking.

One thing needing looked at: the rotating banner uses a selection of images, all with different dimensions. This causes it to move and change the formatting of the page. These should really be consistent, making sure they all take up the full allocated area on the page. If they did it would look much better

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to me Sign2 is better.