SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member indiahosting123's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    plz do not use keyword in url if you are using then avoid lengthy url, try to keep it short. and you can use "-" in urls.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by lutrov View Post
    Moderators: Isn't there an "SEO" category for this? It's got nothing to do with social media.
    The forum named "SEO" was merged with some others to form the "Internet Marketing" forum ... to which this thread has been moved.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After EMD update it is not that important. Google prefers brand names in the home page URL and yes in internal pages it is important to keyword.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    253 characters is the maximum length of the domain name with dot and 63 character is the maximum length of the label. label is nothing by the character separated by .(dot) for example let your domain name is www.mysite.com, here the labels are www, mysite and com.
    Last edited by Stevie D; Jul 4, 2013 at 04:37. Reason: Example URL de-linked

SitePoint Enthusiast ReferralCandy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to a study by SEOmoz on search engine ranking factors (http://moz.com/article/search-ranking-factors), domain level brand metrics now only account for 7% of a website's ranking on search engines. Even though nobody knows for sure what is the exact percentage, it goes to show that using keywords for domain names are not as effective in SEO ranking as before.

Most of the top brands in the world (e.g. Google, Oreo, Redbull) do not have keywords in their domain names. It clearly shows that branding now is more important than having keywords!

- Aaron

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I feel like I'm jumping on this after it's already been answered but I thought I'd clarity a few things.

A few years ago, exact match domains were a great way to rank for keywords. Nowadays they're still a contributing factor but they're nowhere near as important as they used to be. Google's got wind of this technique and is making steps to devalue this factor even further. If you're setting up a website right now there's no point having exact match domains as part of any long term strategy.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keywords in domain name are one of the search engine ranking factors, but off late it has become a shady practice and Google started avoiding such websites in its search results with an EMD (Exact Match Domain) algorithm update. Can be dangerous be equally good, it all depends on how the relevancy of the content on the site and the quality links it gets, not only the keyword in the URL.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google are claiming they penalize exact match domains but we can still see a lot of (crappy) websites with keywords in their domain ranking high on the SERP.

I would go for max 3 words in a domain and if your desired domain is taken try adding hyphens between words, it's actually easier to read the domain that way, and it looks great if you're doing PPC

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Game is now changed..So mine suggestion to you don't buy that domain in which has keyword because Google update the algorithm for this i.e. Exact Match Domain..Be focus on brand name...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seosopt View Post
    How much it is important to have your keyword in the domain name ? and how long(characters) can be the domain name? thanks
    If your site related to ecommercial marketing then it should be 70% keyword related and it will be far better if its related to business.