Thread: Streaming Audio

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Streaming Audio

Greetings!

I have placed the following code on a page to get it to play a song in wma format but it does not seem to find the file or even want to play.

Code:
    <OBJECT ID="WinMedia"classid="CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95"CODEBASE="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701"width=323 height=288 standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components..."type="application/x-oleobject">
    <PARAM NAME="giveup.wma" VALUE="giveup.asx">
    <PARAM NAME="AutoStart" Value="false"><PARAM NAME="ShowControls" Value="true">
    <Embed type="application/x-mplayer2"pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/"src="giveup.asx"Name=MediaPlayerAutoStart=0Width=323Height=288 autostart=1ShowControls=1 </embed>
    </OBJECT>
    I also have a txt file called giveup.asx that has this in it.

Code:
    <ASX version = "3.0">
    <Entry>
    	<Ref href = "mms://WindowsMediaServer/giveup.wma" />
    </Entry>
    </ASX>
    This file has been placed in the same folder as the media file.

Been trying to follow MS instructions from their web site but not having much joy.

I like the song to play from the web site without the user having to download it.

Also does the web site itself need anything activated from the server end so I can stream audio. I ask this as in my control panel I note it asks do I want real audio streaming - currently set to no.

Would appreciate any assistance.

Many thanks

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've always had trouble getting wma files to stream on my sites...with lots of work i eventually got it to work but thats been months since i did that so i couldn't tell you how i did it...sorry about that...but i CAN tell you that using realplayer files was a TON easier to use and set up to get streaming....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real Streaming

Thanks for the reply.

Seeing how my ISP has a RM server I decided to use RM for the streaming.

How does one from within a web page link back to a smil file (playlist file) so it plays the right sound file?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay...im not sure how to link back to a whole playist file but i know how to link to each file to stream it...so i'll type that out:

1. your sound file must be in .rm format...im assuming you have some software to do that...if not just ask me and i'll help you with that

2. create a text file using notepad or any plain text editor and inside the file write the location of your .rm file. (ie if your sound file was in a "soundclips/" directory you would type "http://www.yoursite.com/soundclips/soundclip.rm" in notepad)

3. save the .txt file as a .ram file.....to save it as a .ram file you must put quotes around the file name to force it to save as a .ram file ("soundclip.ram")

4. then on your site just place a link to the .ram file (not the .rm file) and you should be set

im not sure how your server works but on mine the .ram file had to be in my root directory....either way...i hope that helps...and i hope i didn't accidently skip something ....either way....okay...im done.....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Josh!

Many thanks for the reply.

Yep have all that and the links play the sound files via Real One player I have installed.

Issue though is if one has more than one sound clip one has heaps ram files.

So a playlist was the way to go but I cannot figure how the link on the web pages is coded so it palys the right song via the playlist, in reals case a smil file. Very simialr to a ram file but with a little extra coding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could try using a flash player...now i honestly have no clue how to do all that but i know lots of musicians have a little player that will stream their songs...im sure there so flash code somewhere that would help you set up all that....but im defenitely no help there....oh well....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Streaming

Quote Originally Posted by RockNRollPig
    you could try using a flash player...now i honestly have no clue how to do all that but i know lots of musicians have a little player that will stream their songs...im sure there so flash code somewhere that would help you set up all that....but im defenitely no help there....oh well....
    The answer will come soon and I share it with you when it does. AND you have helped by answering because that encourages me to seek and find so that I am given the answer.

Many thanks for your time and effort

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want to play more than one song all you have to do is to include them in the ram file
    like this
    http://yourdomain.com/song1.rm
    http://yourdomain.com/song2.rm
    http://yourdomain.com/song3.rm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    duh....of course!!! it WOULD be something that simple...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Guys!

After some very prompt assistance from those on this board and Real team themselves I have both individual links to play songs individually and an ebedded player that plays all the songs in one hit.

The player uses a rpm file which is exactly the same as a ram file except it has all the songs listed in them.

It is the issue of using a player and allowing people to choose which song to play was what I was struggling with. Real tell me that is not possible.

Hope this assists anyone else trying to use Real's streaming.