User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site for small community group

Hi!

I'm redesigning an old site, and I'm hoping to get some feedback before I keep going. I don't have anyplace to host it yet, so I've attached an html file here. (The website is current a Wordpress.com blog: http://torontorabbits.org.)

About the attachment: it's a page with content from a couple different pages as well as some dummy copy, so I understand it looks messy below the blue banner, but it would never have all that content in practice.

Any feedback is welcome but I'm especially interested in feedback on my code. Did I miss obvious shortcuts? Fall short of any standards? Any inefficiencies? etc.

Thank you!!

complete.txt

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicolasks,

You might want to wait until you have hosting and actually have the page loaded. I looked through your code a little bit but frankly its not very organized and hard to read. At first glance there aren’t errors that I notice but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any or that it won’t render incorrectly. Organize the code a bit better or wait until you have hosting and then ask for a review again.

Best,

Shawn

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your advice! Is there anything you could suggest about how to organize my code better? Thanks again!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the logo, simple but nice. The colors also are well combined with the idea. Some more content would be nice to provide a full feedback

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not bad but i personaly hate white pages it hurts my eyes

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the logo and header. Maybe add more pictures? And maybe categories. Good luck!

SitePoint Member helensmithchina's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can not see fotos and just see Help fill this page!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smanaher View Post
    I looked through your code a little bit but frankly its not very organized and hard to read. Organize the code a bit better.
    Can anyone elabourate on this?

Quote Originally Posted by helensmithchina View Post
    i can not see fotos and just see Help fill this page!
    Oh really!? What browser are you using? Thanks for letting me know!

But I think you're actually looking at the wrong website. This is the one I'm currently designing (just a single page at this point): http://nicoleonline.tumblr.com/testing.

Quote Originally Posted by andyspeak View Post
    not bad but i personaly hate white pages it hurts my eyes
    Darn, I was hoping to avoid that by using an off-white. Are you looking at the updated page (link above - uses slightly off-white background), or the original file (with white background)?

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolasks View Post

Can anyone elabourate on this?
    Nicolasks,

Forgive me I should have mentioned why this is an issue. In terms of a browser, it makes no difference if code is organized (in general) however when you ask for a person to look at it, it can be very tedious sifting through programming that is not arranged logically.

Check out the source code of a well-made website and you will see what I mean. Not everything is crammed together in one long continuous sentence. Things are spread out and organized in the order they are supposed to be in and it makes the code easier for a human to read. The only purpose for this would be to help members on the forum review your code and point out mistakes easier.

(of course I guess I could have just looked at the source code of your website instead of the file you attached).

Best,

Shawn

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the source code of a well-made website and you will see what I mean. Not everything is crammed together in one long continuous sentence. Things are spread out and organized in the order they are supposed to be in and it makes the code easier for a human to read.
    Thanks so much for helping me!! Could you post a link to a well-made website so I can see what you mean?

And if it wouldn't be too much trouble could you show me, using a snippet of my code, how you'd organize it better? That would be such a big help!! Because I understand what you're saying logically-speaking, but I need to see what it looks like, you know?

(You can use the TXT file I attached, or the source for http://nicoleonline.tumblr.com/testing, because I wrote them both and they're both basically the same site; but don't use torontorabbits.org, that's a Wordpress.com blog. Sorry if that caused confusion!)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicolasks, I think what he is talking about is writing less for the browser and more for someone else to pick up after you.

This can mean commenting, grouping blocks of relevant scripting/HTML and generally trying to keep everything tidy and easy to understand.

On small blogs and community group sites like your own this may not make a big difference, but when you go larger scale companies with many developers and teams (or in this case asking someone to look over your code) it makes the job of whoever is looking at the code 100x harder if it hasn't been organised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the site does look nice , i do not have any specific Note for you , just wishes for you for more success

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I do appreciate everyone's help. Like I said, I understand what you're saying, logically-speaking, but I thought I already was doing that, writing for the person and not the browser etc. That's why I'm asking for a concrete example, so that I can SEE the difference between what I'm doing and what you're talking about.

Edit: sorry, this was in reply to
    -
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by ruudus View Post
    -

And actually, I've redesigned the site! I'm going to make a new post. I would love your feedback!